Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The front USB drives don't seem to be working anymore. I get a "Power surge on Hub Port" and none of the drives work. If I need to replace the I/O board there, how do I find the P/N and how difficult is it to install? Do I need to take out the hard drives to get over to where I need to replace the board?

Thanks,

Robert

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

"Power surge on Hub Port" message means that a connected device or devices is drawing current over the specified limit of the USB Hub. remove all connected USB devices and try them one by one to insure none of them is damaged or shorted.

if all work by themselves, you will need to split the devices between the front and back usb ports or buy a POWERED USB Hub and connect this hub to the z840, and then connect the usb devices to the powered hub

HP Recommended

I don't have any devices plugged into the front I/O. All the devices are plugged into the back, whcih works fine. None of the ports work. Seems like it shorted out or something, is that possible? Would I stiull be getting the 'power surge on Hub' error message?

HP Recommended

sigh,...if using back I/O simply replace all references to front with rear,....the rest of the previous post remains the same

HP Recommended

Sorry, my last post may have unclear. The front USB ports do not work at all. The back ports all work fine. I think I may have to replace the front I/O USB board.

HP Recommended

the front I/O panel is not two expensive used (if you can find one) the problem is this may not fix the problem and if not the issue is motherboard related

i would carefully inspect the front usb ports and see if any pins in the socket(s) are bent for usb 3.0 (blue color) there are 6 pins

for usb 2.0 white/black there are only 4 pins

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.