Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently upgraded my graphics card to an MSI Radeon RX 580 and noticed my DVD wasn't playing at all.  I followed a youtube video where I went in and created another channel 1 in the atapi FOLDER which didn't work as there were no Lower filters or higher filters as well.  I then went into device manager and uninstalled the standard dual channel  PCI  IDE controller as per then instructions however it was nowhere to be found after I went to install again in device manager.  The message I get is it says it is there and on the contrary, says it missing when I do a system diagnostic report.  I tried doing the same thing through cmd  (reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001) as well and nothing worked to bring back my DVD player.  

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled my Graphics card driver from Radeon and now it states that I am missing my SAS controller and don't know what to do next to get this controller back per what it states in controller properties " PCI bus 2 device 0 function 0  all drivers are not installed for this device."

Seems I am worse off missing the controllers and the standard dual channel  PCI IDE controller now than when I started just missing my DVD otherwise it was all running smoothly.  

(ps I read another thread where Paul Tikkanen provide a download however when I tried it told me the drivers were out of date to what I already had on my computer so I didn't download not knowing if I can update them later anyways)

Appreciate any help, thanks
Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you look at my reply carefully you will see the 4.5.10.1021 text is BLUE, this means it's a embedded link to a file (or a web page)

and even if i did not provide a link,.. google is your friend and using it with "intel RSTe 4.5.1021" as keywords will produce links to the file

simply click on the blue text

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28189/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe...

a system restore may or may not restore the registry entries, and even if it does will not fix the original issue

a windows reinstall will fix the original issue 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

the directions you followed were for windows 7/XP it does not apply to windows 10

at this point, you have done major damage to the OS trying to fix it, so my recommendation is to simply backup your data and do a clean reinstall of windows

the SAS controller error msg, is usually related to the Intel RSTe 4.3/4.5.10.1021 drivers not being installed,

as the z420 did not come with a SAS controller unless a SAS/SATA Raid card has been added

do not install any later/other RST/RSTe driver as they do not have full support for the z420 chipset

only the  4.5 driver which officially supports win 10

or the  4.3, which is old and not recommended for win 10 

HP Recommended

It may be of interest to note that HP issued an updated Windows 10 driver for Intel RSTe, dedicated to HP Z420, Z620 and Z820 workstations.

The driver version is 4.3.0.1198 REV: B PASS: 2, published on July 11, 2019 as SoftPaq SP98397.

Full details on this updated driver are listed in :

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98397.html

and the softpaq SP98397.exe can be downloaded from:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98397.exe

In may be useful to get to know the above ftp website as it serves as an archive for most drivers issued by HP over the years. Just be sure to insert the appropriate group of 500 before the reference number of a softpaq that you look for.

HP Recommended

again,.............the latest HP 4.3 driver is  officially windows 10 compatible and since HP stopped support for this model they obviously no longer post updated drivers........................................

the Intel 4.5.10.1021 RSTe driver is officially windows 10 compatible and supports the z420's  c600 series chipset

later RST versions dropped support for the c600 series chipset

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response so there is no link for the latest driver you mention Intel 4.5.10.1021 RSTe driver ?  Can  I just go to my restore point before I did this as I did create one before I  installed my new Graphics card?

thanks

Brian

HP Recommended

If you look at my reply carefully you will see the 4.5.10.1021 text is BLUE, this means it's a embedded link to a file (or a web page)

and even if i did not provide a link,.. google is your friend and using it with "intel RSTe 4.5.1021" as keywords will produce links to the file

simply click on the blue text

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28189/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe...

a system restore may or may not restore the registry entries, and even if it does will not fix the original issue

a windows reinstall will fix the original issue 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the responses .   I just joined the community and I am overwhelmed at the quick helpful responses from very knowledgeable members of the community.

I took my computer in for a window 10 reinstall and decided to put in a 1Gb SSD which has a SATA iii interface.  
Is this a simple plug and play or do I need adapter cables etc as all the windows install will go on this drive and my current HDD will be utilized as a place to store my files?

Brian

HP Recommended

You may know that on the Z420/Z620 there are only 2 of the SATA motherboard connectors that are SATA III.  Your HDD likely is SATA III also.  You want to have the SSD, as your boot drive, hooked up properly, and the HDD as your documents drive on the second SATA III port.  I don't have need for huge storage capacity in my personal home HP Z420/Z620 workstations so I got good sized Samsung enterprise SATA II SSDs with low hours from eBay and use that as my documents drive instead of a SATA II or SATA III huge HDD.  Very snappy combo.

Your brand new SSD likely will come in the packaging in a "raw" state, which will need to be partitioned and formatted.  The W10 install from scratch can do that for you, but you need to do a little work first.  Your HDD likely has an official W7Pro64 install on it with a HP OEM COA license on it.  Those can be upgraded at no cost to the W10Pro64 equivalent.  Once your motherboard has gone through this official upgrade its UUID will be forever registered with the Microsoft W10 licensing servers and thereafter you can reinstall W10 from scratch without that W7-W10 upgrade step needed.

You must do the upgrade once, however, to get a motherboard that has never been W10 activated properly to be registered for this "digital license".  The process looks for an official license for W7/W8 to upgrade from, and for these workstations HP was using the Pro version.  A Linux Z420 bought that way from HP (without W7/W8 licensing) is another story...

A W7Pro64 "system builder" licensed install also will work just fine for the upgrade step to W10Pro64.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response

I bought a crucial Mx500 1Gb if that makes it easier to install for Windows 10

Brian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.