Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF. Chipset Intel Q87. Processor Intel Core I5-4570. Windows 8.1 64-bit. I don't find any chipset software for Windows 8.1 64-bit.

There is no installed chipset driver. Has checked in device manager, system devices. The Universal serial bus controller has the chipset 8 series, but with a  Microsoft driver installed. At Other devices, SM bus controller there is an exclamation mark. Where can I find chipset software for the computer?

Thanks in advance!

PH310

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver which will install the smbus controller and any other missing motherboard drivers.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87257.exe 

There are no standalone USB3 drivers for W8 and newer.

Windows installs those drivers.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver which will install the smbus controller and any other missing motherboard drivers.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87257.exe 

There are no standalone USB3 drivers for W8 and newer.

Windows installs those drivers.

HP Recommended

Hey!

Thanks for the reply!

I have read the Readme file in sp87257. The driver can operate with Win8.1, 64-bit. It seems to be the right driver. But how do you see that it can operate with the Intel 8-series chipset? In the ReadMe-file,  Intel refer to Release notes to see which chipset the software is suitable to operate with. The Q87 chipset belongs to the 8 series chipset, Lynx Point. Where can you find these release notes? Have had problems finding release notes before.

Regards, PH310

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You would have to explore the chipset inf driver folder and there you will see the multiple Intel chipsets that driver supports...

See my screenshot below...these are all the chipsets the driver supports.  I highlighted anything that refers to lynx point.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1652804641454.png

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks!

Will install this. But one wonders why this driver is not on the computer's support page, drivers and software ...?

Regards, PH310

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Since I don't work for or represent HP, I wouldn't be able to answer that question. 

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have now installed the drive. It worked well. The computer would not work properly without this driver. In addition to SMBus Controller, LPC Controller and DRAM Controller were also installed. But a have a question: As for LPC and DRAM Controllers, it looks completely normal. Properties, General tab: The device works properly. Driver tab: 10.1.1.40. Events tab: The device is installed. But regarding the SMBus Controller there is the following information: Properties, General tab: No drivers are installed for this device: Driver tab: 10.1.1.40. Events tab: The device is installed.

What is the reason for these different messages. Is it installed or not, or only partially?

Regards, PH310

HP Recommended

Hi:

The SMBus controller on my Dell Optiplex 7050 MT with the i7-7700 processor indicates the same report, so it must be normal.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1652877450757.png

I'm thinking that the chipset package installs what is known as a 'null' driver just to make the ! mark go away in the device manager.

If you look into the unpacked sp87257 driver file>Lynx Point system setup information file, there are commands that tell the installer that some devices need no driver.

The SMBus controller must be one of those devices.

See this screenshot of the file...

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1652877809770.png

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

PH310

HP Recommended

Anytime!

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.