Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install Windows 10 or Windows 7 on a new SSD on
an HP Z820. When I try to install Windows 7, the drive doesn't
show up as a drive to install Windows 7 onto. When I try to
install Windows 10, I get an "IRQL Is Not Less Or Equal" error
message. The drive is recognized in the BIOS, just not during
the attempted Windows installs. Is there some driver you can
provide that I can point to for Windows to recognize the drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was done as well.  The solution was to download an Intel Storage Controller Driver and load it from the Windows 7 Install screen.  That allowed the Installer to recognize the SSD.  Thanks y'all!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

again, windows 10 has all necessary drivers for the z820 included

1. redownload the win 10 installer (select win 10 pro x64)

2. set the z820 bios to factory defaults

3. remove all pci-e cards except for the video card

4. remove all drives except for the boot drive

5. install the win 10 usb key into a usb 2.0 port (while 3.0 will/should work i recommend you stay with 2.0)

windows 7 does not have native ssd support, this can be added using several KB files that ms released which add this support, however to install to a SSD these KB files need to be slipstreamed (added) to the win 7 x64 image (no ssd boot support for 32 win 7)

as win 7 is now a obsolete OS i'm not going to take time to find the needed KB files,.... you can do that if you wish using google

HP Recommended

Is the SSD fresh from the factory?  If so it likely is in a "Raw" state.  Not yet partitioned and not yet formatted.

Put it into another Windows workstation/PC and go into the built in utility Disk Management.  Do a MBR partition, and a NTFS long (not quick) format.  Then try again...

HP Recommended

"Again"?  That's your first post, bro.  

"1. redownload the win 10 installer (select win 10 pro x64)

2. set the z820 bios to factory defaults

3. remove all pci-e cards except for the video card

4. remove all drives except for the boot drive

5. install the win 10 usb key into a usb 2.0 port (while 3.0 will/should work i recommend you stay with 2.0)"

All of that was already done.  Still "IRQL is Not Less Or Equal"

HP Recommended

That was done as well.  The solution was to download an Intel Storage Controller Driver and load it from the Windows 7 Install screen.  That allowed the Installer to recognize the SSD.  Thanks y'all!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.