Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I want use SSD disk Samsung EVO on my workstation. I cloned my old disk to new SSD and all is ok. Now I have problem with install last update windows10 1903 - install end with error. When I want use clean install, setup dont find my SSD disk and install abort. How to install clean win10 to SSD on Z440 or Z420?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the z440/420 systems have two normal sata ports (usually blue or grey) and 5 intel "SCU" ports that require the intel RSTe (enterprise) driver to activate windows 10 has built in drivers for both.

does the new SSD show in the bios while booting? if not determine why

during the win to install on the new ssd, does it show the ssd at the select drive to install screen?

are you connecting the ssd to the SATA or SCU port?

last, the z420 can not boot from a nvme drive, the z440 can boot from nvme as it's bios includes the necessary boot code that the z420 lacks, both systems can boot from a sata ssd

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

the z440/420 systems have two normal sata ports (usually blue or grey) and 5 intel "SCU" ports that require the intel RSTe (enterprise) driver to activate windows 10 has built in drivers for both.

does the new SSD show in the bios while booting? if not determine why

during the win to install on the new ssd, does it show the ssd at the select drive to install screen?

are you connecting the ssd to the SATA or SCU port?

last, the z420 can not boot from a nvme drive, the z440 can boot from nvme as it's bios includes the necessary boot code that the z420 lacks, both systems can boot from a sata ssd

HP Recommended

New SSD is visible in bios and currently work as system disk (windows was cloned from old disk).

During the windows install, SSD isnt visible in screen for select drive to install.

SSD is connect to SATA port (I try port 0 and port 1).

HP Recommended

you need to provide specific details,

which model z system are you trying to do a new install the 440 or the 420

which model samsung ssd are you trying to install to

HP Recommended

I try install on both machine (Z440 and Z420) - same problem.

I installed same disk on older machine Z400. Without problem.

Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

HP Recommended

connect the ssd to the SATA 0 port on either system (the blue or grey ports) have no other drives attached

insert the windows 10 install usb key, you can create a install key by downloading the ms win 10  creation app

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

set the z workstation back to bios Defaults

now insert the win 10 usb key into a usb 2.0 port, power on the system and it should see the ssd when you get to the select drive to install win to to

HP Recommended

Ok, I check SATA ports for new SSD, It wasnt in right port. Now its works.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.