13 10 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

SSD upgrade HP Z400 (6 dimm version)

HP Recommended
HP-Z400 rev2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

So i have just installed an SSD on my hp z400. The ssd is rated at 550MBps/400MBps read/write, and the ssd is performing well as i have tested it on my dell precision m4700 laptop.  But when i installed in my hp z400, the speed dropped to 198MBps/180MBps. Please help as i am not sure what i am doing wrong.

The SSD i have installed is Lite-On-it LCS-128M6S-HP, please refer to the link (https://noteboox.de/LiteOn-Solid-State-Drive-LCS-128M6S-HP_1). Also , the storage emulation option in BIOS is set to RAID. The ssd is plugged into SATA0 port ( the blue one).

Any help or suggestion is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
DGroves
Level 11
4,712 4,683 444 995
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the dell m47 00 laptop uses a faster CPU/Ram and has a faster Front side Memory Buss along with SATA 6gbps interface

the HP z400 uses a SATA3 Interface and has slower Ram/Front side Bus. The ssd speeds listed for the model you have are BEST CASE, not what the drive will actually do

with the above said, have you checked that the Intel RST driver is installed 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z400-workstation/3718668

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49042.html

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Ateeb__
Author
Level 1
13 10 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the informative reply,

There is one thing i cant understand, that when i set the STORAGE OPTIONS in bios to IDE. The SSD works fine but when set the STORAGE OPTIONS to RAID AND AHCI the system does not go beyond loading screen of windows and end up with a BSOD with ERROR code INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE.

Why is this happening..

BTW the OS is migrated from a previous Hard Drive which was used with STORAGE OPTIONS set to IDE.

Thanks.

DGroves
Level 11
4,712 4,683 444 995
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the intel RST driver must be installed before you can set the bios to RAID the intel driver also has the nessary floppy/usb key driver files besides the windows instakk/updater file

simply download the driver package from HP, extract and  run the RST setup, reboot and enter the bios and set to Raid/AHCI, and reboot again and this time it will find the nessary drivers

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation