Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am super frustrated that I can't get my USB boot image to authenticate on an HP z840.

I have created a BIOS admin password, enabled legacy boot/disabled secure boot, tried to clear secure boot keys (which never saves in settings), and tried a host of BIOS settings changes. Secure boot always tells me "selected boot image did not authenticate."

I have read that some users have had this issue and had to send back their machines because its a motherboard issues. Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query!

Since you are trying to install Windows 10 OS in the unit, I would recommend you try the below steps.

1). Go to bios through F10, and make sure secure boot is enabled and legacy boot is disabled under Secure boot Configuration.

2). Under Boot Options please make sure  Fast boot is checked.

3). Also if you scroll further down in Boot Options, make sure UEFI options are enabled and legacy boot options is disabled.

4). Save changes and try to boot from the USB recovery flash drive. You should be able to initiate OS installation.

Hope this helps.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

When you choose to disable secure boot, are you invited to type a code once you leave the bios ?

if so be sure that the "Ver num" is on.

I advise you also to update your bios : (you can do it directly from the bios)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z840-workstation/6978842/swItemId/vc-2...

and to take a look in this article :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3700-all-in-one-printer-series/8954253/model/8954254...

Best Regards

HP Recommended

described by other responses, when installing Windows 10, you should

* enable secure boot and disable legacy mode

* disable fast boot (initially to make sure usb keys are properly found - could be a timing issue)

* make sure you create your boot media key properly

formatted as fat32 (not uefi)

make sure there is a bootale sector on the key (do you use Diskpart? - make the partition on the key 'active')

* you can enable both uefi and legacy boot media settings - no issues having both enabled

* make sure you have All UEFI or All UEFI except video enable (not Legacy) in the options setting

let us know the specific of the problem, not that it just doesn't work - step by step use and when failure happens

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.