5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Sudden interuption and disconnection of USB 3.0 storage until reboot

HP Recommended
Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Greetings!

I run a Z820 workstation on Windows Server 2012 R2 I experience sudden interuption and disconnection of USB 3.0 storage until reboot. In particular I use external storage devices such as Seagate Expansion 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive.

What could be the issue and to overcome it?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 1,195 74 153
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since there is no official support for Windows Server OS on HP Workstations (meaning, there is no full testing as with Windows client or some Linux distributions), i would start by making sure the system is up to date with the latest BIOS, and chipset/drivers - Windows 2012 R2 is based on Windows 8.1, so those drivers should be installable on your system

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would start with check or replacing the USB cable some cheap cables can cause issues, also i would  test the usb cable/drive on another system and note if any issues appear note that a test like this is not something that is done in 30 min, rather use the device on the system for a week and note any possible issues

i would also check the power/sleep settings on the OS,  and disable any power saving modes

i would test another brand external usb drive, some brands shipp with drives that have firmware diffrent than a bare drive

and this firmware causes the drive to go into a deep sleep state

the usb enclosure itself may have firmware that  can cause issues

replace the power adapter on the external usb enclosure, cheap units can cause voltage drops which will cause random disconnects

install a quality usb 3.0 card and see if the issue persists, if so it's most likely a OS related issue

0 Kudos
AKazak
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have already tried to replace a USB cable - the issue is still there.

I have already tried to replace the power adapter on the external USB enclosure - the issue is still there.

I have already tried another brand external usb drives and some of them cause the same issue.

The enclosure works fine with USB 3.0 on other systems.

I will try to disable power/sleep settings, well as any power saving modes on the OS.

I my try to install a quality USB 3.0 card. Can you suggest few options of such please?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i recomend usb 3.0 cards using the "TI" (texas insturments) chipset most 3rd party cards using this chip are well made

most HP cards with this chip is pricy, but very well made here's a link to a consumer (not workstation) card:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-608151-001-SuperSpeed-PCIe-interface/dp/B008MO515U

and the workstation model: (from a SDH posting a while back)

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Add-HP-USB-3-0-car...

note: hp also makes a usb card with the NEC/Renasas chipset which i personally do not recomend as some high end

software packages can have issues with it due to it's onboard buffer size, however for normal consumer use the nec chip is also useable, but card quality does vary

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation