Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elite Desk 800 G2 DM

I got a cheap CPU off-market (G4560) with same LGA 1151 socket that most 800 G2 desktop minis have.

But the problem is that it is not being properly identified by the machine.

At start, machine does 3 beeps with red light; likely throwing a CPU related error.

I guess, there's some sort of firmware lock.  

Is there any way to remove the restriction since G4560 has the same LGA1151 socket as G4500T, which HP recommends for this machine?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the quickspecs for the 800 G2 series.

The list of supported processors does not include the G4560 for the G2 Mini.  The Pentium list starts on page 11.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04818335.pdf

Unless there is a microcode update listed on the support page that adds support for different processors, you won't be able to get that processor to work.

HP Recommended

From what I can see the quick specs only lists VI gen Skylake processors, while the G4560 is a VII gen Kabylake CPU.

More likely than not you would need a bios with the updated microcode to support that CPU.

HP Recommended

That seems like the issue. I guess I overestimated the support for Kaby Lake.

The latest BIOS firmware update lists the Intel Microcode Update version as "0x9e".

And that does NOT include Kaby Lake.

I guess HP has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to competitors like Asus, MSI, Supermicro, etc.

Moderators:

Can we have an ETA when or if HP BIOS will support latest microcode?

HP Recommended

@mickyx wrote:

That seems like the issue. I guess I overestimated the support for Kaby Lake.

The latest BIOS firmware update lists the Intel Microcode Update version as "0x9e".

And that does NOT include Kaby Lake.

I guess HP has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to competitors like Asus, MSI, Supermicro, etc.

Moderators:

Can we have an ETA when or if HP BIOS will support latest microcode?

I doubt it such a bios update will be officially available - these PC's are sold a prebuilds and officially are not meant to be upgraded. You can check bios mod forums since there are tools to add microcodes to the bios but there is always an inherent risk of bricking your board whilst flashing the modified bios, especially since the microcodes are usually resident in the bootblock.

HP Recommended

Guys,

I'm seeing in the bios's release-notes HP now does support microcode for KabyLake CPUs in P21 family bios. But what about N21?

Microcode update to 0x5E for KabyLake CPU and 0xBA for SkyLake CPU.

@all: Will HP update that KabyLake microcode in pervious bios N21 family (I mean, for elitedesk 800 G2 mini desktop)?

HP Recommended

@HP @Moderators Is there any progress on this?

HP Recommended

Realise this is an old thread but I can't find anything further on gen VII CPU (Kaby Lake) support on HP EliteDesk 800 G2. Does anyone know what the story is? If not official HP, any unofficial BIOS out there?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.