Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Sysprep not working on HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini - Windows 7

HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all, where I work we have a "HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini " PC running Windows 7 Professional X64 what is provided by our Disaster Recovery provider.

This PC has our basic company software/programs on and is imaged using Symantic Ghost, and is then deployed out to a large multiple of identical PC's at our disaster recovery facility in the event when needed. Our DR facility is also connected to our AD domain.

The process is: Build/Update image > Sysprep with Generalize option> Image PC using Symantic Ghost > Send Image to DR facility.

Now when ever I go to Sysprep it with the /Generalize option, windows fails to boot/reboot. I just get a black screen in a continuous re-booting loop. Not even any error message, absolutely nothing is shown!

I subsequently have to restore to a non syspreped image.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this model of PC in question or a similar model of HP PC? If so what was the solution? 

I also need to get this issue sorted out sooner than later as we have a DR test coming up soon where we will be pushing the image out to a large number of identical PC's and test everything down in DR.

More info on my issue can be found here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5908b584-1f19-4e70-a277-921d4bcc8a1c/specialize-pa...

Regards: Elliott.

10 REPLIES 10
DGroves
Level 11
4,701 4,675 443 994
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i recomend you contact symantec, or post on the symantec forum as the issue seems to be with the symantec product

rather than the HP hardware.

is this the first new UEFI based computer your trying to image?

it's possible that the issue may be related to UEFI and/or secure boot but that's just a shot in the dark

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
karim_me
Level 3
Level 3
40 40 1 5
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Could you try this bios modification : 

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately, press the Esc key (Pressing Esc displays the startup menu).
  3. Press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
  4. Select the Advanced tab.
  5. Select System Options.
  6. Uncheck the Allow PCIe/PCI SERR# Interrupt option.
  7. Save the changes and exit the BIOS

Best Regards

eveares
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see how contacting Symantic will help, I have no issue creating or restoring the image via PXE boot and there is no Sysmantic software installed on the HP EliteDesk 800 G2. 

It is purley a Windows to hardware related issue and Sysprep is done on the client side from windows directley before the the PC is then shut down and then imaged. 

I will try karim_me suggestion in the mean time.

eveares
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope,  disabling "Allow PCIe/PCI SERR# Interrupt" in the BIOS did not help. As soon as I ran sysprep with the "/generalize" option, upon reboot I just got a blak screen boot loop as mentioned before.

It is also worth noting that "Legacy support with Secure Boot Disabled" is also set in the BIOS and is how Windows 7 is installed.

Hope one on here may have an idea of what is going on.

eveares
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Duplicate post- Deleted!

eveares
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorted my issue out after months of trouble.

The following article below was the solution to my problem, once I had converted Windows 7 from a BIOS (MBR) to a UEFI (GPT) installation, sysprep with the "generalize" option worked and the computer rebooted successfully and joined the domain.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installati...

DGroves
Level 11
4,701 4,675 443 994
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

so i was right, it was a UEFI related issue!!

and i still think asking this question on the symamtec ghost forum would have given you a corect answer fairly quick since i suspect that you are not the first user who had this problem

thanks for posting the solution to your problem here so other scan benefit from it

eveares
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure, the community on the Symantic Ghost forum may have had the answer to my problem, however the issue was not with Symantec Ghost but with Windows 7 itself installed in legacy mode with MBR partitioning on modern hardware.

Whether I captured the image using Symantec Ghost, ImageX, Clone Zilla, etc... or did not capture the image at all and just restarted; had I not have converted Windows 7 to UEFI with GPT partitioning ,then my problem would still be unresolved.

DGroves
Level 11
4,701 4,675 443 994
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

or you could say that ghost has a problem imaging a legacy mode disk when using the \generalize switch and only works when the disk is in UEFI mode with GPT enabled

i don't see your problem as a windows issue with legacy or UEFI modes, but i do see a fair bit software  that has quirks or outright problems  with UEFI or fastboot which is why i asked if you if you had previously ben able to sucessfuly image a disk when under UEFI

it's your right to accept or take any advice given on a forum like this, but most people looking for help here will think the advice of asking the software vendor or asking for help on their forum that's specific to the software having a problem is good advice.  why you didn't want to try/do this is your choice and i will repect that  strange as i find it to be

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation