Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi. I posted here a few days ago. I purchased a hp 440 fan heat sink that I was told that would work for my hp z420 since I have a 2687w 8 core at 3.4 MHz. I am confused because the fan heat sink came with a part for the cpu chip to go in and I’m unsure if I need it or how to remove my old one. To me the chip holder looks too big. Any help would be appreciated. I wish I could send pictures to make this easier! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Lucky,

I believe you're talking about having bought a E5-2687 v2 which would require the v2 Z420 or v2 Z620 motherboard.  This big heatsink/fan was made for the Z440 but also fits fine in a single processor build Z420 and single processor Z620 build.  I use the Z620 active memory cooling option over this big heatsink/fan in our single processor Z620 builds when we're overclocking the processors.  As you know, from the work of Bambi and Brian, dual processor builds cannot be overclocked with XTU.  An optimized Z420 v2 is a nice way to go for lowest cost.  This heatsink/fan can never fit in a Z620 or Z640 dual processor build.  There just is not enough room once you add the second CPU riser.  The newer fan plug has 6 holes, and that for the ZX20 has only 5.  You just hang that 6th hole end of the white fan plug out in space and use only holes 1-5.  Fits fine if you want to do it that way using the new fan too.

I don't understand what you are saying.  A heatsink/fan does not have a part for the cpu chip to go into.  The heatsink/fan is simple.  

There is a picture of the type I recommend in the post  HERE .  Have you ever replaced a processor on one of these workstations?  You need to take off the original heatsink with its fan attached and place on the new one from a Z440 after cleaning off the thermal paste from the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor.  I always apply new thermal paste with the processor out of the socket.  I use Noctua HT-1 thermal past only because that is what I have experience with, and what works.  The copper plate at the bottom of the heatsink that contacts the processor in its socket is truly the bottom of the heatsink, and the size of that plate and its surrounding aluminum cast base is bigger than the top of the processor.

Maybe take some pics and post them here so we can see what you are talking about.

So, please clarify for us so we can help you.  If you are not computer savvy this is dooable but you need to be very careful.  So, now is the time to pause and ask for help...and if you need there are good computer shops that can do this for you.

You can see lots more pictures of these if you search eBay for 749554-001.

p.s.  you can take the fan off of your old heatsink and use it on this new heatsink and it will work fine.  Yes, the whole thing is bigger than your original by about 2x, but the fan is close to identical.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Lucky,

I believe you're talking about having bought a E5-2687 v2 which would require the v2 Z420 or v2 Z620 motherboard.  This big heatsink/fan was made for the Z440 but also fits fine in a single processor build Z420 and single processor Z620 build.  I use the Z620 active memory cooling option over this big heatsink/fan in our single processor Z620 builds when we're overclocking the processors.  As you know, from the work of Bambi and Brian, dual processor builds cannot be overclocked with XTU.  An optimized Z420 v2 is a nice way to go for lowest cost.  This heatsink/fan can never fit in a Z620 or Z640 dual processor build.  There just is not enough room once you add the second CPU riser.  The newer fan plug has 6 holes, and that for the ZX20 has only 5.  You just hang that 6th hole end of the white fan plug out in space and use only holes 1-5.  Fits fine if you want to do it that way using the new fan too.

I don't understand what you are saying.  A heatsink/fan does not have a part for the cpu chip to go into.  The heatsink/fan is simple.  

There is a picture of the type I recommend in the post  HERE .  Have you ever replaced a processor on one of these workstations?  You need to take off the original heatsink with its fan attached and place on the new one from a Z440 after cleaning off the thermal paste from the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor.  I always apply new thermal paste with the processor out of the socket.  I use Noctua HT-1 thermal past only because that is what I have experience with, and what works.  The copper plate at the bottom of the heatsink that contacts the processor in its socket is truly the bottom of the heatsink, and the size of that plate and its surrounding aluminum cast base is bigger than the top of the processor.

Maybe take some pics and post them here so we can see what you are talking about.

So, please clarify for us so we can help you.  If you are not computer savvy this is dooable but you need to be very careful.  So, now is the time to pause and ask for help...and if you need there are good computer shops that can do this for you.

You can see lots more pictures of these if you search eBay for 749554-001.

p.s.  you can take the fan off of your old heatsink and use it on this new heatsink and it will work fine.  Yes, the whole thing is bigger than your original by about 2x, but the fan is close to identical.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all of the support this sever is just too difficult for me to work with I’ve learned a lot but I definitely need to just cut my losses and sell it. I need a much more modern and simple case with newer parts I’ve got an 3070 in this thing and each thing I do it’s like I’m taking two steps back. So I’m just gonna wait til my 1866 Ram comes in and just sell it. I’ve spent way too much money and wasted too much time on it. I just wanna game anyways. Thank you for all of your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.