Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Trying to use 3x 3TB SAS Drives in a RAID 5, at their 6GB/sec speed.

HP Recommended
xw9400
Other

Hello! I just purchased 3x 3TB Drives for my HP Workstation xw9400, and I was hoping to get all 3 drives in a RAID 5 setup, for a total of 6TB.

I can get the machine to recognize the drives, and I can even create a RAID array with them, but the drives are reporting a max of 2TB per drive, and in the array, it reports only 3TB total. 

I think that the drives are just larger than this old machine is capable of seeing on its built in SAS RAID controller, and I was considering getting a SAS RAID card, but compatibility information is sparce. 

My Goal:
get all 3x 3TB drives in a RAID 5 array, running at 6GB/sec (or as close to the 6GB/Sec spec as is possible)

How I THINK it could work: 
I THINK I can get a PCIe SAS RAID controller that is more up to date, and will recognize the 3TB drives at full capacity. It's my understanding that the PCIe  x1, x4, x8, x12 are the channels it has for communication, and therefore at 3GB/sec/channel MAYBE I can get 3 drives at 6GB/sec with a minimum of the 8x card.

I don't know if thre is a bottleneck with this being pre PCIe 2.0?

I am trying to run this all on a HP xw9400 Workstation running ESXi 6.0.

Any and all information is welcome. 

Tags (2)
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation