Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed Windows 10 on a z820 and I'm having USB issues. I came across this (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03291465) which explains the issue of the cursor lagging due to interference from a thumb drive below the mouse (Logitech M705) receiver in a usb 3 port on the front.

What's weirder is that the USB 2.0 ports on the front and back don't work at all and don't provide power to the wired keyboard or receiver. They also don't cause a notification sounds like the 3's. Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

which build of windows 10 are you using and do you have the latest Ms updates installed?

the v1803 release is quite solid, the v1809 less so unless you apply the latest Fixes

the 17xx releases are considered obselete for most users, so unless you have a specific need of this release(s) stay with the 1803/1809 installs

usually the quickest fix is a clean reinstall of the OS, with the z800 bios set to defaults

(never ever enable the compute option!!!) the only bios changes might be to disable the network Boot rom and the onboard LSI SAS/SATA controllers boot rom (make sure for the LSI you disable the boot rom and not the actual controller)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327635

HP Recommended

**bleep**, it is 1809! Do you know how to download 1803 at this point? Microsoft seems to only have 1809/ April 2018 available...

What is the compute option?

HP Recommended

i would simply redownload the latest release of  win 10 do a clean reinstall, and apply all ms updates

confirm proper mouse operation then add only one or two programs at a time and retest between each program install, you might want to create a restore point manually each time

the only thing you need to know about compute option for the pcie slots is not to use it unless you want a non working system

enabling it will disable video from any video card inserted in a slot with compute enabled

search the forum if you wish a detalied description that i have previously posted on several times

HP Recommended

I actually tried it twice and then did updates yesterday and had the same results before installing programs.

Compute sounds like a great "feature".

HP Recommended

then try replacing the wireless mouse with a direct usb type mouse and if no problems, issue is with the logitech wireless module/driver

HP Recommended

Maybe it needs an older Logitech driver because it works fine on my custom W7 pc as does the wired keyboard. Thanks for all the DGroves!

HP Recommended

4 W10 installs later and usb 2 works!  :LaughingTears:

Now to solve the cursor problem.

HP Recommended

I have a very similar issue with a brand new Z2 mini G4. Wireless logitech works fine but Razer Chroma has terrible lagging. What makes me very angry is that we are talking about a freeking mouse data going through a USB port - something that has been working with no issues for like 350 years now. What is a solution - installing a fresh Windows or maybe even better - going back to a PS2 or RS232 mouse. :HalfEyes::Crying:

HP Recommended

before posting that you also have the same issue as the original poster please try the suguestions i have previously posted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.