Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z2 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What can I plug into the USB 3.0 charging port on the front of the tower?
Is it only for charging devices or can I plug a printer or flashdrive into it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"All these USB ports have data capability...." means yes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can download the PDF copy of your manual and keep it for reference:

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1049183050.pdf

You can download a PDF copy of the most recent QuickSpecs for your tower... these get updated.  Search it for "I/O":

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c05987463.pdf

The front In/Out (I/O) region of your tower has some standard and some optional ports..... you can read up on that in the two documents above.  Basically you'll have 2 USB2 on the rear, 4 USB3 on the rear, one USB3 on the front, one USB3 on the front that also is a charging port with "HP Sleep and Charge" (which lets you charge from that port even if the workstation is asleep), and you have the option of adding a USBC with "Charge" capability.  Some options can only be added at time of ordering the workstation.  "Charge" USB ports have higher amperage capabilities than a USB2 or a standard USB3 port.  All these USB ports have data capability, including the "Charge" ports (the front one that is always included and front optional Type C port).

Read more, HERE.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply!

Does that mean I can plug a flashdrive into the usb 3.0 charging port?

HP Recommended

"All these USB ports have data capability...." means yes.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification.
I fried the usb ports on my new monitor by plugging it into my older pc so I'm being extra careful!

Both replies are answers to my question.

HP Recommended

Happy to help..... some of the HP literature seems to indicate the USB Type C port with charging capability has become standard, and some list it as optional.  From those QuickSpecs:  "USB Type-C SuperSpeed Plus port with HP Sleep and Charge". 

The USB engineering is pretty robust..... it is not that you will hurt an old USB2 thumb drive by putting it into a USB3 port that is engineered to have the "Charge" designation, with much higher amperage capability.  Many of us charge our cell phones at work by hooking them into our desktop computer's USB port but then if the PC goes to sleep it won't be charging the phone.  This new "HP Sleep and Charge" is a handy new feature.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.