Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi, @DGroves :

Do you have any words of wisdom here?

HP Recommended

all i can think of offhand, is to try another USB key and place the win 10 installer on that key

i would also recommend using a usb 2.0 port instead of a the two front usb 3.0 ports and to also try the rear usb 2.0 port

last, make sure the usb key is set as the first bootable device in the bios (needs to be above the fixed disk entry)

or manually select the boot device during setup

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion, DGroves. I've had issues attempting to boot via usb 3.0 ports in the past so I stuck with the usb 2.0 ports. I also changed the boot order to the desired device and tried manually selecting the boot device as well.

So I doubled back on the BIOS settings again. There were a few settings that I honestly was not 100% familiar with but it was also not clear if they would disrupt an attempted OS install. The first setting was disabling the Data Execution Prevention option. The second setting was disabling the Network Boot option.  I assumed resetting the BIOS would prevent the system from attempting to boot from a previously used network device.

After disabling these two settings I was able to successfully begin the installation process. I believe it was the Data Execution Prevention option based on the behavior after loading the initial ISO disk.

Thank you again to everyone that responded to my inquiry. It is greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to getting my new (old) Z620 up and running!

HP Z620
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10 GHz
HP Recommended

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is part of the CPU firmware/Bios that prevents MALWARE from running

if disabling DEP allows a OS install then you have a issue somewhere because DEP has been part of a systems Bios for years and is enabled by default for ALL CURRENT OS INSTALLS in the past decade

boot from network, if enabled simply tells the BIOS to look to the network card for a valid boot sequence and if none found continue with the LOCAL boot process IE-hard drives attached to the computer

HP Recommended

@DGroves, I could very well be wrong. I was logging my changes though and those are the only two options that were changed before rebooting and attempting the install again. To avoid any issues with other forum users, feel free to remove the accepted solution.

HP Z620
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10 GHz
HP Recommended

since i have not seen this system or done any work on it i would never consider removing what you think worked for you

i'm only pointing out that both of the items you changed have never been known to prevent a OS from installing by themselves or in with both being enabled (like they should) you may have changed another setting or have a flaky install image or bad ram

i recommend you try enabling "DEP" and note the results boot from lan can remain disabled along with the Lan option rom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.