Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to boot my Z400 from USB.
This is the error i rcvd.(Picture attached.)

Non-System Disk Error or Disk Error 
replace and strike any key when ready.

(Even this bootable usb booting fine on my laptop and some other Desktop PC.)

error-high.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

BIOS is a built in primative operating system for your hardware, and if needs to see the USB drive to work with it.  There are some format types with USB drives that may not be visible to your BIOS in the Z400 but would be visible to another type of BIOS in another PC.

However, a likely alternative is that your BIOS is set to disable boot from USB.  Do this:  F10 boot into BIOS, go over to the Storage tab, dow down to Boot Order, if you see USB Device Disabled arrow down next to that and use F5 to convert that to USB Device Enabled (can't remember the exact wording).  Then use F10 to accept that, Escape to back out to Save Changes and Exit, and then you need to use F10 one last time to save the changes and restart.

In BIOS my boot order usually is optical drive at top, the SSD under Hard Drive section next, and USB as third.  You can get a bit faster boot by moving the SSD to the top, above the optical drive in priority.  In such a case if the SSD is loaded with the OS you'd need to use at the early phase of a cold boot or a restart to force BIOS to use the USB as its boot device.

If USB as a boot device is disabled in BIOS you'll get that message.....  If the USB ports have been disabled in the BIOS Security section of BIOS you'll also get that message.  Some workstations have had the USB ports turned off for security purposes in BIOS but if that was the case no USB device would work in normal OS boot either.

HP Recommended

The error I was getting was because of My HDD was not having partitions in it. So I connected to some other PC and formatted and connected again.
There was an error i missed in the previous message. (PXE-E61)
error-01.jpg

I resolved this now I am getting this message.
error-04.jpg

For the boot USB options here are the options I selected. Even having these options I am getting the error.
error-03.jpg

error-02.jpg

HP Recommended

My Z400 does boot from SM951 AHCI SSD. Just install a Bootloader on another volume your BIOS can see as bootable and at the screenshot choose your SM951.

BTW I'm using Clover and I'm running Mac OS X but it works with Windows as well.

Excuse me I posted this in the wrong board, sorry for the inconvenience

SSD SM951.png

HP Z400 Xeon W3690 Arctic Cooling 13LE, 24 Gb DDR3, 2x SM951 256Gb Raid0 boot drive, Nvidia Quadro K2000
HP Recommended

your HD is set for IDE mode, this will result in much slower drive speeds. it should be set to SATA/AHCI mode

and the nessary dos driver from the HP website placed on the usb key for loading during windows setup when no bootable drive prompt appears

you can format a usb key in windows by selecting it and then selecting format, but to make a bootable usb key use rufus

it's a simple program and is well documented on their web site

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.