Eric_Tech
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Unsuccessful cloning for HP EliteDesk 800 G3

HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We cannot clone our Windows 7 64 HP EliteDesk 800 G3 after SysPrep using Ghost or Acronas. We think it might be related to the BIOS...this HP PC model has a HP BIOS Protect splash screen on start up, and tweaking the BIOS in various ways still will not let the ghosting apps successfully create a cloned image.  Any ideas?   

4 REPLIES 4
weak_link
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We use Acronis and are having the same issue, any luck on this one, Eric?  

We're using Win10 but also belive it's bios related.

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,271 2,225 211 655
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use eSATA for Acronis image capture and clone almost exclusively, but am using HP workstations that let me add an adapter on the backplane.  Let me know i fyou need such an adapter because there is a nice red one by BizLink for full height backplate and a nice black one by HP for short form factor backplate via eBay.  I've posted in the forum here about the BizLink one.  I can dig up the part numbers to search for.

An alternative is to use a USB-attached external HDD drive big enought to accept the image.  Only attach the bootable Acronis thumb drive to a USB2 port and only attach the external HDD drive to a USB2 port.  Do not use the USB 3 ports.  It is safest to not rely on USB power for the drive.... ideally use an external power supply for that.

eSATA.... you can buy eSATA cables that have regular internal plug on one end and eSATA on the other, hanging out of the case.  Not ideal, shorter ones are better, but it works (if you don't want to buy an internal to external backplate adapter or if there is no backplane site available.

I have a Linux based Acronis boot USB thumb drive, and a WinPE based one too.  Sometimes one works but not the other.  The Linux one is my first go-to and it usually works.

0 Kudos
ENITSup
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a soultion for this? We are using Acronis 11.7 latest build.  We have tried using the linux disk as well as winpe and despite seeing the catalog, once we get to the screen where it calculates the local disk, it just reboots. I have spent time with different secure boot options, EUFI disk, and a number of other options.

Even when using a USB3.0 drive, as soon as the recovery stage get to calculating the local disk, it just reboots.

0 Kudos
ENITSup
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Below is the combination of steps we found that worked and have successfully imaged 5 PCs so far.

• Download the latest bootable recovery media from Acronis (may require a support ticket with Acronis)
  • Place your backup on a USB3 HD or flash drive
  • Boot your PC into BIOS
  • Go to Security > Disk Options > Secure Erase and erase the m2 disk
  • Go to Advanced > Secure Boot > Make sure Legacy is turned on
  • Exit and save
  • Reboot and press f9
  • Choose EUFI CD Rom
  • Let the Acronis disk load (can take a minute or two)
  • Go to Recover
  • **At this point, insert your USB3 into one of the front USB3 Slots, look for the ss** I add this here because we had odd issues when it was plugged in from the start**
  • Browse and choose local disk
  • Select your USB and hit ok
  • Select your BU image and be sure to change the option from volume to disk. Then click on the disk show in the below window
  • Click ok
  • Change your NT Signature to NEW
  • In backup options, select create new SID
  • Then ok.

Process for us takes under 5 minutes to load but right now we are only using about 60G of space when uncompressed.

The only issue we got was a corrupt recycling bin error when you first log in but then the issue doesn’t happen again. After googling, it appears this is a one off issue.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation