medmaghraoui
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Updated BIOS, nothing happened

HP Recommended
Compaq Elite 8200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated my BIOS using v2.28 I downloaded on this forum. it said it was updated successfully, but when I go back it's still v2.10
my graphics card isn't recognized and couldn't find the option to switch from just integrated card, that's why I'm updating.
I'm not well versed in this stuff and wish to get help, thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the latest correct bios release is 2.31 Rev A   sp85518.exe (17.3 MB)   which covers vista/win 7 x64

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc...

since you did not bother to state the SP number that you tried to install, we can not really say much about it

you might also want to describe just how you are atempting to perform the bios update as no information usually results in NO HELP

as for how to switch video modes/cards click on USER GUIDES on the left side, then select revelant help file from right side (pdf format)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc/5037931/manuals

0 Kudos
medmaghraoui
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry I didn't know it would be valuable to you, the SP was SP71294. I'm currently using win10 x64, 2.31 Rev A isn't for me I should think.
I installed SP71294.exe and coppied the DosFlash folder content in a USB drive; Booted in BIOS.
BIOS > File > Flash System ROM > (some letters and numbers).bin 
it was successfully flashed 

Thank you DGroves.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the bios update from within windows10 OS method will not work you must use bootable USB key or update bios from within the current's  bios

please use the latest bios sp number i linked to, as your sp is not the latest

some bios updates require that you flash a  intermediate bios revision before atempting the latest builds but this does not seem to be the case here

for updating the bios under windows 10 you must create a bootable usb key with the bios update files in the root of the drive (copy the files in the dos folder to the usb key not the folder)

and then boot from this key (do not change the file names)

the bios update method should ask for the drive letter where the update files are, and may or may  not also ask you to select the specific bios file (if asked do so), again the files in the DOS Flash folder need to be copied to the root of the usb key. some systems  require the bios file have a specific name when updating this way but most systems should ask you for the update's bios file name

last the "Rev A" simply means that hp has not modified the text files or bios image since release. if you take the time to look at the bios sp's you will see almost all of them are Rev A 

0 Kudos
medmaghraoui
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you sir, you'ev been a great help. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation