Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

is it still necessary to install chip-set etc. drivers from HP download page?

Those are dated to 2015 and I was wondering if it's still needed with W10 1909?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

It isn't necessary to reinstall any drivers.

The only time you will need to install a driver is if there are any devices listed in the device manager with a little ! mark next to them.

HP Recommended

Thanks,

I know that there is no "need", I was asking from features, performance and stability POW.

Some Microsoft drivers don't use hardware as it was intended, eg. no hw acceleration for some functions etc.

I guess that I'll have to test the system myself?

Kind regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess I don't understand what you want to do.

If you had already installed the drivers from the z820 support page, there would be no need to reinstall them unless you clean installed v1909.

I have all of my HP business desktop PC's running v1909 and I didn't have to reinstall the chipset, graphics, storage controller drivers and whatnot.

They were still the same ones that I had installed when I had installed W10 a few years ago.

HP Recommended

windows 10 (all versions)  includes all necessary drivers for the z820 the only thing you can do is install newer versions of the existing win 10 drivers (such as the intel RSTe driver v4.5.xxxx) or the intel AMT driver if the system is on a corporate domain, however home users do not require the AMT to be active and it should remain disabled

video drivers are usually updated monthly, check the AMD/Nvidia web sites

HP Recommended

Sorry for being unclear,

and thanks to all for helping.

I have upgraded from W8.1 to W10(1909) and I'm asking which drivers had to be installed for maximum performance, stability and features?

Drivers pack from HP z820 download page are rather old, so it's confusing.

Should there, for eg., Intel chipset driver be installed or W10(1909) has newer/better Microsoft driver?

Again, thanks in advance, really appreciate help

HP Recommended

again,....HP never officially supported windows 10 on the z820 some drivers for the z840 also work on the z820 if both systems use the same part

windows 10 includes all necessary drivers for the z820, however due to how MS marks driver dates for all win 10 drivers used during the install (as 2006 even though they are actually from a later date)

you should NOT be using the win 8x drivers under win 10 it's not needed and can cause issues

the only driver that you might want to update is the intel RSTE driver HP is 4.3 and the latest is 4.5 from intel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.