Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Product number: L8T12AV

To update the Firmware, I was provided this link by customer support:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8323794&swItemId=wk_158289_1&swEnvOid=419...

Using the link, I was able to download and run sp74202.exe.

Then a set of instructions appear as follows:

Another FWUpdLcl.exe utility in the ME Flash\Local-Win directory is designed to update the ME firmware within a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows environment, from the "Run" box or a command prompt. The ME can be updated by executing the following command: "FWUpdLcl.exe -f ..\11001197.BIN -generic". Alternatively, when running a 64-bit Windows environment, use the command: "FWUpdLcl64.exe -f ..\11001197.BIN   -generic". The ME Flash folder contains the binary update image to be used with the utility.  The update binary image and the Local-Win folder contents can be copied to any storage volume available within the Windows operating system.

Since I am using 64-bit Windows 10 I assume I need to run the command:  FWUpdLcl64.exe -f ..\11001197.BIN   -generic

My question is.... how do I complete this command, i.e., how do I tell it which folder to look in, to find the files.

Much thanks for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When you run HP service packs, they will expand and place their contents under an own directory within C:\swsetup.

Specifically in your case, if you run sp74202.exe, you should see a new directory C:\swsetup\SP74202 has been created with the contents of the service pack within.

Alternatively you can use 7-zip to peek inside the service pack exe without running it since the exe is a self extracting zip file that runs the installer once decompressed :Wink:

In any case, a newer ME update exists here but i'd first apply the latest system firmware update available here.

When looking at the HP service pack links above, it's good practice to selectively click each "Description", "Enhancements", "Installation Instructions" "Release Notes" "Fixes" and "Revision History" tabs and read the information (some of it is repetative but you'll soon learn where to focus your attension).

The contents of these tabs contain important and relevant information on what has been improved, fixed, which system it's for, how to install the update, etc. And if a previously installed SP is not listed in the "revision history" tab, that release may have been pulled by HP due to some fauly behaviour or other issue!

Pay particular attension to the prerequisits as in some instances firmware updates have to be stepped (that is you can't always simply apply the latest).

And if you read such boaring stuff, the system firmware (BIOS) Installation Instructions tab would have given you a clue where the sp files are expanded to :Wink:

Have you tried simply enter the command (as specified) via a command prompt window but changing directories to where the FWUpdLcl.exe file is located?

Just keep in mind that sp74202 is the initial ME firmware release so nothing sould update :Surprise:

So best to apply the latest system firmware (BIOS), then the ME firmware, then maybe the latest ME software (under chipset drivers).

Best to bookmark this page which lists all the downloads for your z240 Windows 10 64bit tower system so check it out periodically.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

When you run HP service packs, they will expand and place their contents under an own directory within C:\swsetup.

Specifically in your case, if you run sp74202.exe, you should see a new directory C:\swsetup\SP74202 has been created with the contents of the service pack within.

Alternatively you can use 7-zip to peek inside the service pack exe without running it since the exe is a self extracting zip file that runs the installer once decompressed :Wink:

In any case, a newer ME update exists here but i'd first apply the latest system firmware update available here.

When looking at the HP service pack links above, it's good practice to selectively click each "Description", "Enhancements", "Installation Instructions" "Release Notes" "Fixes" and "Revision History" tabs and read the information (some of it is repetative but you'll soon learn where to focus your attension).

The contents of these tabs contain important and relevant information on what has been improved, fixed, which system it's for, how to install the update, etc. And if a previously installed SP is not listed in the "revision history" tab, that release may have been pulled by HP due to some fauly behaviour or other issue!

Pay particular attension to the prerequisits as in some instances firmware updates have to be stepped (that is you can't always simply apply the latest).

And if you read such boaring stuff, the system firmware (BIOS) Installation Instructions tab would have given you a clue where the sp files are expanded to :Wink:

Have you tried simply enter the command (as specified) via a command prompt window but changing directories to where the FWUpdLcl.exe file is located?

Just keep in mind that sp74202 is the initial ME firmware release so nothing sould update :Surprise:

So best to apply the latest system firmware (BIOS), then the ME firmware, then maybe the latest ME software (under chipset drivers).

Best to bookmark this page which lists all the downloads for your z240 Windows 10 64bit tower system so check it out periodically.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.