Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to update the BIOS of my Z400 into the latest version

Please advice on how to and provide links where I can download the latest version

Thanks in Advance. . . .

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hello,

Go to support.hp.com and search for your model.

I'll save you 5 seconds of work, here you go:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z400-workstation/3718668

Make sure to select Windows 7 64 bot as your OS so the latest BIOS version becomes visible.

CHeers

HP Recommended

For future forum searchers.... there is a twist here.  If the BIOS on the workstation is old enough you need to go through a sequential "step up" process of first getting to a certain newer (but still old) version of BIOS before you can finally update to the very latest.  What is your version?

You also can read up in here about updating BIOS from within BIOS, the safest way to go.

The latest BIOS for the ZX00 series of workstations, both versions 1 and 2, have the Intel fixes for their latest mess that you've probably read about.  For any of the HP workstations before that series there likely will be no updated BIOS coming.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I already download and try installing this (Version: 4.02 Rev. A sp42251.exe and Version: 3.61 Rev.A sp84161.exe) to my Z400 ver 2. But nothing's change still my bios version is 3.07.

HP Recommended

That "4.02" is old software from the old SP42251, and is something I never use.  I recommend you do the same.  If you want to upgrade BIOS from within your Windows OS the program to do that is built into the other newly released BIOS SoftPaq for the Z400 already.  Same idea for the Z600 and Z800.

The newest BIOS for the Z400 comes from the SP84161 you mention.  The files in that SP are the same old ones as in the earlier Z400 BIOS update SoftPaqs, except the .bin file has been updated.  You don't need any of those other files if you are updating BIOS from within BIOS. 

Do the updating of BIOS from within BIOS as described in the forum here, which will be faster and less prone to issues than if you update from insode an OS such as Windows or Linux.  Read up on that...... use a FAT32 freshly long-type formatted small thumb drive (8GB or less) and put only the .bin file onto that.  The thumb drive needs to be big enough to hold the .bin file, which is about 2MB, so you can use an old small thumb drive, but if you use one that is too big you are asking for failure.  If your workstation is running Linux just unpack the SoftPaq on a Windows machine and harvest the .bin file from the root level of the C drive in the folder SWSetup there.  The .bin file you need will be in the DOS folder insice the folder with the same name as the SoftPaq you just ran (inside SWSetup in C).

Plug that into a front USB2 port in your fully shut down Z400 workstation, boot up, F10 into BIOS, go to the first tab, choose to update the system BIOS (there is an obvious entry for that.... "Flash system ROM").  If anyone is reading this for the concept and using a later HP workstation such as a Z620 that includes USB2 and USB3 ports..... ONLY use a USB2 port.

You can read more in here about how to harvest only the current 7G3_0361.bin file for your Z400, which is 2,048 KB in size....   It is a whole lot better to update BIOS from within BIOS than from inside the operating system.  Plus, it works reliably and is faster.  There is only one case I can think of where two workstations have exactly the same BIOS.... the Z420 and the Z620.

An odd added tip.... I have run across some workstations that I could not use this technique on until I swapped in a PS2 keyboard.  I turn off the workstation, unplug the USB keyboard, and plug in the PS2 keyboard.  Don't hot-unplug or hot-plug a PS2 keyboard..... I have blown the PS2 circuit on one HP motherboard that way.  Think of PS2 as a primative access pathway that is different from USB, like BIOS actually is a primative operating system loaded from a firmware chip.

HP Recommended

@SDH

sorry but it is still not clear for me how to do it.

Is there any video that I can follow updating the BIOS?

HP Recommended

Nope.

I'd advise taking your Z400 to a computer shop.  There are directions included with the SoftPaq that they can see by running it.

HP Recommended

While I have never encoutered any issues in flashing HP Workstations, PC's and Laptops within Windows (by use of the flash utility), I agree with SDH. The most secure method would be flashing the .bin file from an usb stick within BIOS. Sometimes it's the only method to update your BIOS, depending on your OS.

Issues like these can often be solved by applying some simple tricks. 

Try replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh one. After removal of the old battery, wait at least 1 minute before placing  the new battery in the socket. An exhausted battery, while seemingly still fully functional, may cause issues when flashing the CMOS chip with a new BIOS. CMOS is the memory on a motherboard that stores the BIOS settings, which is powered by a small CR2032 battery even when the PC is off, in fact, even if it's unplugged.

This is what it looks like on the HP Z600 system board  (also notice the CMOS reset button):

Z600-CMOS-Reset-Button1.JPG

HP Recommended

@ravenly:

Have you tried to open the .exe with admin rights (by clicking the right mouse button) ?

What happened when you opened the Bios flash utility; did you actually see the utility screen ?

I suppose you have you read the included readme file ?

HP Recommended

Yes, agreed.

I have presently an issue with my Z400, as I was updating BIOS within Windows 10 GUI and it BSOD´d 😞

Tried everything to Revcover it, so far without luck.

Burned CD with just the .BIN file on it, CD with BIOS image CD, Flash Drive...the same.

I don´t it´s even recognizing the USB.

Funny thing is, BIOS is still with old configurations, as it automatically boots when it detects power.

Did I miss anything? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.