Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Workstation HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all - I have an HP Z4 G4 worksation with a Xeon w-2123  4 cores 8 threads (TDP 120 W)-

I would like to upgrade to a Xeon w-2145 8 cores 16 threads (TDP140W)

The BIOS version is : P61 v02.48 , date: 03/27/2020

Question 1 : will the BIOS recognize the new Xeon w-2145 ? Or any change to make in the BIOS ?

Question 2 : do I need to modify / change the ventirad ? Any parts to order ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Best regards

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The search bar here works pretty good... such as "Z4 G4 upgrade".

There is pretty much all you need from  THIS post.  I put a link to the earlier post in there, which is also worth looking over.

It can be a bit tricky, but can be done.  Don't forget the concept to update your BIOS before rather than after such a project. Learn how to upgrade BIOS from within BIOS as the safest way to go.  Turns out BIOS in these workstations is smart enough to look into the root level of your C drive and if you have the proper cascade of several folders (directories) in there with the latest .bin file for your BIOS at the deepest folder level then BIOS can go find it and use it to self-update.

We can help with that if you need when the time is right.

HP Recommended

Note that the Xeon processors that are HP-approved for the Z4 G4 come in different max TDP power levels:

105, 120, 130, 140, 155, 165 and 168W.  You only need to shift up to the better higher heat capacity heatsink/fan and that fan plug adapter if you upgrade to a 155 or higher processor.  Some of the latest processors need the latest BIOS installed because that comes with a "microcode" segment allowing newer processors to run.  

Old BIOS + newest processor = bad experience... no joy.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your quick response , I will read all this in details and try to prepare logical steps as suggested - Many thanks !

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the response and guidance, I will include these in my investigations and next steps  - Thanks again !

HP Recommended

In order to better understand the CPU-cooler modifications required, beside the BIOS aspect :

- Is there a way to know if the current CPU- cooler installed on the Xeon W-2123 (TDP 120W) is sufficient, or not, for the Xeon W-2145 (TDP 140 W)

- The CPU cooler currently installed is ref. “900187-001”

- 140W is less than the 155W TDP threshold mentioned in the other posts about using a new CPU-cooler kit  ref. “749554-001” : “ … this kit is needed, it appears, for all Xeon or Core processors at and above 155W max TDP in a Z4 G4, and that implies that the Z440 4-tube heatsink/fan provides at least 168W  “

Many thanks for guidance !

HP Recommended

Well actually I think the response to my question was in your previous message :

- "You only need to shift up to the better higher heat capacity heatsink/fan if you upgrade to a 155 or higher processor"

So I have everything needed at this stage -

Thank you !

HP Recommended

Yes, you are fine with that heatsink/fan you already own.  As you get into the newer workstations and higher performance processors there is temptation to look at the next step up.  I have attached the latest QuickSpecs document (from a few days ago) below as a PDF.  You might want to at least ponder the options above your choice (you may already have done that).

The higher cooling capacity heatsink/fan in the prior posts was actually re-engineered from the Z440 workstation to work with the Z4 G4 via that special fan plug adapter.  The adapter from China takes some time to get here but works perfectly.   The one from HP is very hard to find, and expensive as a kit with a new HP cooler.  The higher cooling capacity heatsink/fan is what I have been using in my single processor Z420 and Z620 builds..... it does not need any mods if you just hang the extra last ground jumper hole in the plug out in space and just use the first 5 holes for the motherboard's 5-pin header.  I've gotten those higher cooling capacity coolers for as low as $12.00 USD shipped.... expect to pay about 20 usually.  I like the version with the mounting screws on the bottom plate front/back rather than 2 at the back.  Make sure to tell the seller that if you go that route.

It would be nice to document what your current memory speeds are.  That might change the equation because if you have memory faster than your processor that opens up the option of changing up to a faster processor without having to add the cost of replacement memory to get the full potential of a faster processor.  Your processor is currently 2666 but your memory might be 2933.

If you shift up to a 155W or higher processor for your box you'll need the conversion to avoid warnings etc.  And don't forget that if you go to a higher MHz FSB processor you'll only get the full performance from it if you give it all the same or higher speed memory.  On page 14 of the attached QuickSpecs you'll see that HP may be shipping very fast memory (2933 or even 3200 MHz) in the slower builds of the Z4 G4, and that will work fine.  If you run the faster processor with slower memory, however, that will automatically slow the processor to match.

See below...

HP Recommended

Hello SDH, - Thanks for your very detailed answer- especially about the connector and mounting screws for the cooler, - this will help a lot,

At this stage the w-2145 seems a reasonable compromise between increased multi-core performance and price, though I will probably explore option for higher processors to the extent they become more affordable over time ...

In this eventuality I am already looking at ebay for the CPU-cooler (a few available) and have ordered the cable from moddiy.com

DRAM in the workstation is 128Gb (4 x 32) at 2933, so performance should be "honest" ...

Thanks again for all your help !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.