cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IDME-Heinen
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Upgrade NVIDIA Quadro K3100M 4G VRAM possible on a Z1 workstation?

HP Recommended
HP Z1 D8K98US#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to Upgrade an NVIDIA Quadro K3100M from 4G VRAM to 20G on a Z1 workstation? I have 32G RAM but only 4G video card depending on the information from GPU-Z or  Graphics Memory 8,122MB from HP Support Assistant. I am a multi-media producer and I'm about ready to take a sledge hammer to this dinosaur! Can anyone suggest what I can do to speed up video and multi-media developing and rendering?

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

since you don't specify which software apps, and your hardware config  you are using

it's hard to provide any advice except for generic ones

the best help i can give right now is for you to visit the software app(s) makers websites user forums and post there

spending  money for a  really high end video card may not be the best solution for you you may find that increasing system memory to 128 gig and replacing cpu's with higher frequency or more cores, provides better results 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
IDME-Heinen
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. The problem is with as small as opening a PDF.  Opening Adobe Premiere Pro and then Audition or Photoshop or Illustrator. Unfortunately, I purchased this from a 2nd hand/refurbishing computer store with a very good salesman and a no refund policy.  The Xeon  E3 hard drive is 4 core 8 thread, but I suspect it is 6-7 years old, and was used as a server ,according to the salesman.

32G system memory is the limit and I've met that.  I am having the hard drive tested and will replace it with a solid state drive if that's the solution.  If not the hard drive, I'll likely take a loss and by a NEW computer that meets my needs.  I've learned a valuable lesson from this purchase. Thank you again

DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if your trying to do video editing then the FIRST RULE is have a system that can use 64 or more gigs of ram

wht submodel is your Z1? is it the original or a G2/3 model

32 gigs is below the nessary minimum and forces the OS/program(s) to constantly swap code from memory to the Hard drive and back

replacing the video card is not going to resolve your available system memory shortage

next the order of programs being opened is quite important.

open photoshop last, as the program is designed to allways take ALL AVAILABLE FREE MEMORY (and then some)

actually photoshop should be opened all by itself only when needed and remain shutdown when unused

and i don't mean to be rude but the Z1 is a really crappy system for video editing

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04111467

i strongly recomend you sell the Z1, and buy a hp z800 or z820 tower (or similar spec system)

a z800 on ebay cost around 350.00 and ram for it is somewhat cheap since it uses ddr3 instead of ddr4 memory

look for one with the v2 motherboard that takes the 55xx and the 56xx series xeons or just buy one that comes with

the 56xx series cpu

the only thing i would look for and buy with the sysyem is one that includes the upgraded 1115 watt power supply

over the stock 850 watt one as having this will allow any/all future upgrades  such as dual high power (130 watt cpu's) all drive bays filled and all ram slots filled trying to buy/locate one after the fact can be quite expensive

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhp+z800.TRS0&...

IDME-Heinen
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure but I think it's a G2. It is the slowest computer I've used as an eLearning developer.  Unfortunately, I was referred to this shop, who buys equipment from businesses when they upgrade. I gave him the specs of a computer I wanted to build. He came back with this solution and told me that if God had a computer this Z1 would be it.  He is 80 years old and so sweet he would never mislead anyone... unfortunately, his knowledge is 7-10 years behind. My loss. It sounds like I should take my swats and move on. Thank you! 

DGroves
Level 11
4,688 4,662 440 990
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i recomend you replace the current Z1 while a z800/820 will do the job as they were built for video editing

you might be able to also use a z420 which is a single cpu variant of the z620/z820 systems

if you do go for the z420 it has 8 memory sockets

the z420 is limited in max ram compared to the z800 (v 2 motherboard) z820  or the z600  (v2 motherboard)  z620 systems but will still hold  128gb ram

the z400 is not sutited for video work as it's max ram is rather limited

again note the z800 and z600 systems have a v1/v2 motherboard,.. only consider the v2  based systems as they work with the widest range of cpu's  (xenon 55xx and 56xx)

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation