Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z620 with a Xeon E5-1603 with 32GB 1333 memory.  I want to upgrade the processor to a Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 processor.  Can I do that?  It supports 1866 memory.

Now HP has two links to a pdf that show the supporting CPU and it list this one I want to upgrade to but doesnt list the one I have now.  However If I goto the other page it lists it but doesnt list the one I want to upgrade.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYs9zY_oTY...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYs9zY_oTY...

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Idle0095, welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation.  On Page 28 of the section on the Z620 series workstation specifications it shows that the motherboard supports the Xeon E5-1600 and E5-2600 processors.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@Idle0095 wrote:

I have a HP Z620 with a Xeon E5-1603 with 32GB 1333 memory.  I want to upgrade the processor to a Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 processor.  Can I do that?  It supports 1866 memory.

Now HP has two links to a pdf that show the supporting CPU and it list this one I want to upgrade to but doesnt list the one I have now.  However If I goto the other page it lists it but doesnt list the one I want to upgrade.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYs9zY_oTY...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYs9zY_oTY...

E5 v2 CPU's including the E5-2670 v2 will work, provided that you have a machine with the '2013' boot block date (check in bios). On the basis of the processor yu currently have installed I am guessing you might have the older '2011' boot block date in which case the CPU will not run, but check this and report back.

The HP information that it supports the Xeon E5-1600 and E5-2600 processors is pretty vauge to the point of being misleading , since it doesn't distinguish the boot block date matter and also technically the later v3 and v4 Xeons also fall into this group despite having an incompatible socket as regards to the Zx20 (LGA2011-3 vs LGA2011 of the Zx20). But its also worth noting that the HP Quick Specs were never intended to be compatibility guides with regard to upgrades but rather a product offering hence should be viewed in this context.

HP Recommended
So will a regular e5 2600 work with boot block 2011? Or just the 1600 series work.
HP Recommended

A handy way to see what the version 1 Z620 has as HP certified processors is to gather up a collection of "Z620 QuickSpecs" via google/bing.  There are a whole bunch of these and the earlier ones only deal with the Sandy Bridge processors, while the later ones mainly deal with the Ivy Bridge processors (the 2013 boot block date workstation is needed for those).

Many Z620s are out there that will never get a second processor because of cost of adding on the motherboard riser, etc.   So, you don't need a processor with dual QPI links if you'll not be adding a second.  I'd follow the advice Bambi gave you..... I've found raw processor speed over maximum total number of cores has given me what I needed.

You want to be able to use 1333 memory and thus you want to pick a processor that can support that.  You also want to fill all the memory slots if possible.  I have found some amazing deals on 8 sticks of 2GB HP memory for these older Z620s and can do that because the programs we use are not as demanding as those used by Bambi and MtothaJ, and 16GB gets us what we need right now.  So the experiment was done to go for 8 x 2GB sticks versus using 4 GB sticks and leaving some sockets empty, and the workstations really seem to thrive by having all sockets filled.

This is a good topic.... there are a lot of great Z620 version 1 workstations that are ready for some fine tuming.

HP Recommended
I have 32gb in it now. They are 1333 now. I think I’ll just upgrade to the e5-1650.
HP Recommended

@Idle0095 wrote:
I have 32gb in it now. They are 1333 now. I think I’ll just upgrade to the e5-1650.

The E5-1650 would be a very good choice and a noticeable improvement over your current CPU. An even better one would be the E5-1660, especially since if one shops around these can be found for a very similar price to the E5-1650.

As for RAM I think the advice SDH offered about getting a 8x2GB kit is solid. With the E5-1650 / 1660 in the Zx20 you will be limited to 1600mhz on the RAM so this is the speed to get. Othr options are matched kits of ECC Registered server ram - these will work fine also and can be purchased at a good price (or as good as can be expected given the recent RAM price hikes), with the cavaet being that you cannot mix registed ECC and ordinary unregistered ECC modules.

Also, RAM from the MAC PRO 6.1 ('trash can') is also a good option as it often comes up for cheap due to users of these machines upgrading - this is DDR3 1866mhz ECC unregistered. I actually have a kit of this memory using ELPIDA memory IC's (Hynix is the other popular one) and in an Asus P9X79 Pro board have been able to nicely overclock the RAM:

- stock settings: 1866mhz 13-13-13-32 2T 1.5V

- overclocked settings: 2133mhz 12-12-12-32 1T 1.65V

The fact that it was possible to increase both the speed AND tighten the timings AND go from 2T to 1T with perfect stability indicates to me that these are high quality RAM sticks which are definietly worthy of consideration.

HP Recommended

Do you know what the CPU temp of the Intel Xeon E5-1660 SR0KN should be running at?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.