Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I'd love to know if it would be possible to replace the installed TPM module with a more recent one.

Does tha Z230 SFF motherboard have the TPM chip/module soldered or would it be possible to change it with a more recent module?

Thanks to anyone answering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no updates to your PC's TPM 1.2 security device and it is not removable.

If you are asking the question because you want to upgrade your PC to W11, the processors that model series comes with are also not supported for W11 and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any you can upgrade to.

If you want to run W11 on your PC as is, you can, but you have to clean install it.

I would make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

First make this registry change...

https://www.hellpc.net/how-to-bypass-tpm-and-cpu-requirements-windows-11-upgrade-unsupported-pc/

Then download the Windows 11 ISO file (3rd option), not the W11 installation assistant.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Use Rufus and make a bootable USB installer with the ISO file you downloaded.

There is a new option to create an installer that is supposed to bypass the W11 hardware checks. 

Here is the link to the Rufus download.  You want the version 3.17 portable.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

See this image link for how to set up the Rufus tool to bypass the W11 hardware checks...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/296479i080A4C679280E055/image-size/large/is-...

Boot from the Rufus installer, and you will be able to install W11.

Since your PC has a TPM 1.2 device, you may be able to do an in-place upgrade to W11 by opening the Rufus installer you made, and click on the Setup application and see if W11 will allow you to do the direct upgrade without the need to clean install W11.

My unsupported W11 PC's got all of the W11 updates. 

I have upgraded 8 of them to W11, and they seem to run a little better on W11 than they did on W10.

However, I don't know how long they will continue to get all of the updates, or what will happen when the new build of W11 comes out next year in October.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no updates to your PC's TPM 1.2 security device and it is not removable.

If you are asking the question because you want to upgrade your PC to W11, the processors that model series comes with are also not supported for W11 and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any you can upgrade to.

If you want to run W11 on your PC as is, you can, but you have to clean install it.

I would make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

First make this registry change...

https://www.hellpc.net/how-to-bypass-tpm-and-cpu-requirements-windows-11-upgrade-unsupported-pc/

Then download the Windows 11 ISO file (3rd option), not the W11 installation assistant.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Use Rufus and make a bootable USB installer with the ISO file you downloaded.

There is a new option to create an installer that is supposed to bypass the W11 hardware checks. 

Here is the link to the Rufus download.  You want the version 3.17 portable.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

See this image link for how to set up the Rufus tool to bypass the W11 hardware checks...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/296479i080A4C679280E055/image-size/large/is-...

Boot from the Rufus installer, and you will be able to install W11.

Since your PC has a TPM 1.2 device, you may be able to do an in-place upgrade to W11 by opening the Rufus installer you made, and click on the Setup application and see if W11 will allow you to do the direct upgrade without the need to clean install W11.

My unsupported W11 PC's got all of the W11 updates. 

I have upgraded 8 of them to W11, and they seem to run a little better on W11 than they did on W10.

However, I don't know how long they will continue to get all of the updates, or what will happen when the new build of W11 comes out next year in October.

HP Recommended

Thanks, it is for Windows 11.

I know all the conditions, and I know also CPu is critical, but I hope in a future enlargement of permitted CPU, until Microsoft does not reveal the real reasons of such a drastic cut (I suspect it to be due to critical bugs in CPU).

Thanks and best regards,

Tonino

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.