Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello! I want to replace 2xX5650 with 2xX5690 on mine z800. Power Supply: 850W. I have max power consumption around 700w now. Will i have any problems?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

since you have a 56xx series cpu currently, you have a rev 2 motherboard that supports 55xx and 56xx xeon's the original rev 1 board only supports the 55xx series xeons

HP plainly states that the optional 1100 watt power supply is required for the 5680/5690 cpu's

also, although the quickspecs do not state this, HP also requires the watercooling kit for the cpu's as even the upgraded aircooled heatsinks are not rated for this thermal load

the HP z800 has two diffrent air coolers, and one water cooling one

the stock one that's rated for 95 watt or lower cpu's

and the optional one that is rated for 130 watt cpu's

the water cooling option kit is required for the 150 watt cpu's

so to go from a 5650 (95watt cpu) to a 5690 (150 watt cpu) you will need the 1100 watt power supply and the water cooling kit (which is hard to find and very pricy)

my advice,  unless you can find two high performance  130 watt coolers and two  130 watt cpu's and the 1100 supply for less than half the cost of a z820, i would spend a bit more and just buy a z820

HP Recommended

I already have water cooling kit installed on my cpu-s.

HP Recommended

An option is to use the highest rated 95W processor and just swap in two processors and keep the rest the same:

Your current X5650 has a PassMark score of 7396

The X5690 has a score of 8889

The recommended X5675 has a score of 8184.  It has a single sSpec code of SLBYL and these can currently be bought used from eBay for about $27.00 USD .  I run two of those in my Z600 at home, have added in the Texas Instruments based HP PCIe USB3 card, and run a Kingston Predator M.2 drive as my boot drive and a Samsung enterprise SATA II SSD as my documents drive.  This combination is excellent.... I have a Z620 version 2 here also to compare to..... they feel very much alike and your Z800 with the same treatment might be a quick and inexpensive way to go while you save for the future.

HP Recommended

Just saw your comment about water cooling being in your Z800 already.  If it is HP then you might be good to go.  I don't know if two X5690 processors would work with the lower rated power supply if you are not using up lots of wattage elsewhere.  Sounds like you'd be pushing the limits and a used 1110W one off eBay is not cheap (but you could sell your 850W one to recoup some of the cost).

I have a Z400 version 2 at home running one X5690 under the stock 130W Z400 cooler just fine and it is a very nice workstation still.  HP never listed the X5690 for this workstation but it works and has worked on every Z400 version 2 I have installed these processors in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.