Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840 WS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Z840 WS running  Windows 7 64 Professional (It was downgraded from windows 10 when I purchased the machine). The OS resides on an HP Turbo drive which is my c: drive.  I want to replace (upgrade) windows 7 with clean install of Windows 10 on the HP turbo drive. What is best way to accomplish this?

Steve M. Savanyu
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

from within windows 7, download the windows 10 install image  (usb key or DVD image)

once the win 10 install media is made, FROM WITHIN THE WIN 7 OS,  go to the win 10 media and run the win 10 installer which is SETUP.EXE

the win 10 installer will check/confirm a valid win 7 license/activation and then procede to install a clean  win 10 install and also give you a valid win 10 digital activation license

once the first win 10 activation is done, all future win 10 installs to this motherboard can be done directly without first having win 7 installed

note that MS can deactivate this win 10 licenseing method at any time since it's a unoffical way to upgrade

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.