Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
KR581UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I have a dc7900 SFF that came from the factory with Windows Vista, which included an OEM operating system badge from Microsoft for the same.

Not long after, I elected to take HP up on an offer to upgrade to Windows 7 for free via recovery DVDs they mailed to me.

I'd now like to upgrade to Windows 10. However, every time I try to upgrade using Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" tool, or GWX, the process fails with a "0xC1900208" error, which I now understand is an application compatibility error.

The following is what I've done so far.

1) Restored the machine to factory state using the Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) recovery media.
2) Uninstalled ALL applications via "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.
3) Connected the machine to the internet in order to download the GWX tool.
4) NO Windows updates of any kind have been installed.

My question to the group is, could the reason the machine passes the hardware check, but fails the application check be that the original key for Windows was for Vista, for which there is no upgrade path to 10? If so, is there anything I can do? If not, should I fully update Windows 7, then upgrade to 10?

Thank you for reading this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again, Paul. Thanks to your assistance, I finally figured it out. Hopefully, the following will be of use to someone.

The link I posted yesterday suggesting there was an issue with the Microsoft executable not allowing the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 to proceed didn't pan out.

At that point, per your suggestion, I plugged in my Windows 10 media thumb drive and initiated the upgrade using it instead. After checking the system for compatibility, a program that wasn't identified during the online upgrade process was flagged as incompatible; the Infineon TMP Professional package.

Since said application wasn't listed in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I had to research how to uninstall it. I came across a post in a Microsoft forum that suggested simply deleting the C:\SWSetup\ProtectTools\Embedded folder. Once that was done, without even emptying the recycle bin, the upgrade was allowed to proceed. I couldn't believe it! The mere presence of the Embedded folder brought the whole process to a screeching halt.

There you have it. Many, MANY thanks for your time, Paul. I really appreciate it!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The GWX application no longer works.  That was just for the free upgrade from W7 to W10.

The free upgrade to the general public ended on July 29, 2016.

The only way to get the free upgrade now is if you or whoever may also use the PC needs to use the assistive technology resources found in W10.

The free Windows 10 for folks that use assistive technology ends on 12/31/17.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Otherwise, you will have to purchase W10, and upgrade using the media creation tool at the link below...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, Paul.

To further explain, yes, I'm indeed attempting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via Microsoft's accessibility tools offer at the link you mentioned below, which worked flawlessly on another HP PC (albeit a newer model). As far as referring to said offer as "GWX," I guess old habits die hard!

At any rate, my question is, could the fact that the Windows OEM key that came with the machine was for Vista have anything to do with the upgrade from 7 to 10 failing?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know why you are getting an error when you try to upgrade from W7 to W10 using the assistive technologies upgrade.

I have both a dc7900 CMT and a dc7800 CMT, both came with Vista, and had no issues upgrading to W10 from W7 on either PC.

You do have W7 SP1 installed, correct?

You must be at W7 SP1 in order for the upgrade to work.

If you are at SP1.

What I would try if I were you, would be to make a W10 installation DVD using the media creation tool.

Select the download ISO file option.

You can't boot from it (that is only for clean installs), but you can run it from the windows desktop.

Skip the check for updates, and see if you can upgrade to W10 that way.

You can use the ISO to DVD tool I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD.

Or use your DVD burning program's burn ISO file option to transfer the ISO file to a DVD.

Burn at the slowest speed you can.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the ideas, Paul. I'll give them a whirl and report back.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Hopefully that approach will do the trick.

HP Recommended

Greetings Paul. Per your suggestion, I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on my dc7900 after first restoring it with the Windows 7 recovery discs (which don't include the aforementioned service pack). However, I distinctly remember not having to do so on a slightly newer HP desktop whose Windows 7 recovery media also didn't include Service Pack 1.

At any rate, the upgrade failed yet again. Though, this time it was for a different reason. It seems an issue with the Microsoft executable used to perform the upgrade has come to light in the last 24 hours. Thankfully, there appears to be a fix available.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8ab132c5-fdf5-409d-92c8-a96ebfc3eeaa/error...

I'll give it another try tonight and report back.

HP Recommended

Hopefully, that fix will work!

HP Recommended

Hello again, Paul. Thanks to your assistance, I finally figured it out. Hopefully, the following will be of use to someone.

The link I posted yesterday suggesting there was an issue with the Microsoft executable not allowing the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 to proceed didn't pan out.

At that point, per your suggestion, I plugged in my Windows 10 media thumb drive and initiated the upgrade using it instead. After checking the system for compatibility, a program that wasn't identified during the online upgrade process was flagged as incompatible; the Infineon TMP Professional package.

Since said application wasn't listed in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I had to research how to uninstall it. I came across a post in a Microsoft forum that suggested simply deleting the C:\SWSetup\ProtectTools\Embedded folder. Once that was done, without even emptying the recycle bin, the upgrade was allowed to proceed. I couldn't believe it! The mere presence of the Embedded folder brought the whole process to a screeching halt.

There you have it. Many, MANY thanks for your time, Paul. I really appreciate it!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That is great news you were able to figure out why the W10 uprade had been failing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.