Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I want to upgrade the two CPUs in my Z620, which I am aware have to be exactly matched. Currently it has two E5 - 2620 v2 CPUs @2.1GHZ with 48GB RAM - which is UDDR3 ECC 1600MHz.

The boot block date is 03.06.2013 and I'd like to fit two E5-2690 v2 CPUs @ 3GHz.

Looking at the Z620 documents it seems my system will support this upgrade. Is there anything I need to check on the motherboards before ordering the CPUs?

I've learnt that this CPU will take a faster RAM which is good, will it also work with the RAM I have?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Chris,

Those new processors can support the next step-up in memory speed... 1866 Mhz.  That is as fast as the Z620 v2 motherboard can ever go (stock).  You could stick with your next-step-slower memory speed to see if that combination meets your needs.  That will drop the max speed of the two processors down to match at a FSB of 1600 also.  Yes, they will work fine with the new processors.  There are retired server 8GB 1866 ECC buffered sticks that are identical from HP/IBM/Lenovo/Dell servers that can be bought if you know what you are doing at about 15.00 USD/stick currently off eBay.  These work fine in the ZX20 v2 workstations.  My best buy of these when we upgraded a bunch of Z420 v2 workstations was 12.00 each (with shipping), but don't hold out for that.  Haggling with strength of a good sized order of sticks may get you a buck or two off the offered $/stick price.  I can't remember getting a bad used Z workstation memory stick.  Did get a few back in the xw workstation era, but it never was a hassle to get a replacement from the seller.

An important thing your motherboard will need is the latest BIOS.  You never want to paint yourself into a corner by having an old BIOS version on the motherboard that does not support the new processors you are installing.  Don't ask how I know.  Update the current BIOS if necessary first, and do it from within BIOS as the safest way.

Make sure you have the optional black plastic card support/front case cooling fan installed (bottom of the front case area).  I can get you the part number if needed.  There is a motherboard 4-pin header up at that corner waiting for it if your original box did not come with one installed.

I'm sure you've seen forum members Brian and Bambi's input on tuning the dual processor Z620 v2 choices to what you need to do.... raw speed vs max cores; single- vs multi-threaded main applications.

Finally, your new processor choice has only one sSpec code, SR1A5, so they will be easy to match.  I don't buy processors from China... there are enough from respected US sellers to stay with that and still get a fair price.  It has been very rare to have an issue with used processors both in the xw and the Z workstations.  I always match sSpec codes and always get the latest stepping if there was more than one sSpec code. 

HP Recommended

Hi SDH, your help is much appreciated.

I'll keep an eye out for some replacement RAM on ebay while seeing if the current 48GB does the job. I'll have a look into the BIOS update too, I may come back with some questions on that, so be prepared! I thought the BIOS boot date was some kind of factory setting, but it seems I might be wrong!

Can you send me the serial number of the part you mentioned? I do have a fan up front but it'll be good to double check this as I want to do it all correctly.

Thanks once again for your help!

Chris

HP Recommended

I have noth chips now - ready to install. What is the part number of the fan you mentioned?

HP Recommended

Chris.... here's that info....

The Z620 front chassis fan and its black plastic fan holder/card guide uses a fan made by AVC, the DS12025R12L using 12VDC 0.3A max (with a fan label HP modifier of P057) with "hydraulic bearing" and HP Assembly P/N of 644319-001 Rev. A. There is an alternate Delta fan, AUB1212H, which has HP assembly part number 644319-001 Rev 2, with HP modifier number -BA22 on label. 12VDC, 0.39A.  The black plastic holder has a HP Assembly P/N of 644318-001, embossed into the plastic.  Pics:

OlderOlderNewerNewerFrom behind...From behind...From inside case...From inside case...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.