Highlighted
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using HPDM to get the current IE version number

Thinclient T610
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I work for a retailer, and currently use HPDM v4.7 to monitor roughly 700 HP ThinClients we have at stores.  We need to confirm all these ThinClients have up to date versions of Internet Explorer.  I wanted to use HPDM to give me a list of ever single device, and what version of Internet Explorer its on, but am running into problems.

Normally, HPDM tracks every Application installed on every device it monitors, including the version number of that application.  However, IE is considered a 'Windows Feature' and so not listed in the Windows Programs and Features menu, or by HPDM.  Does anyone know a way to use HPDM to find the current version of Internet Explorer accross all the computers it is installed on?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
504 504 51 84
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very good question..

First you have to upgrade the DM service to at least SP6. There is a feature which allowed you to get the customized data on the device and report it back to HPDM Console.

In general you have to:

1. Use script to get IE version, from registry or powershell, whatever you want
  2. Write the version info in the configuration file using by the feature
  3. Above two steps can be done via File and Registry task
  4. Group the device with P1-P6 properties on the Console 

You can also set scheduled task on local device to load the IE info repeatly on every day/week/month, so that once the IE is upgraded the new version will be displayed on DM Console automatically.

Check the white paper for details: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/hpdm/Documentation/WhitePapers/4.7/WP_Grouping-Tool_HPDM-4.7-SP6.pdf

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
Level 5
Level 5
144 143 14 35
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This PowerShell script might be helpful:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/FInd-IE-Version-on-Remote-e6d5075c 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HP.
**Click the Thumps Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation