cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

VR headset goes black when pc is undocked

HP Recommended
HP Z VR Backpack G1 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We have been using the unit with a Samsung Odyssey Mixed reality headset and it has been working flawlessly when the computer is docked.

The problem is when I undock the unit, the headset goes black immediately and only comes back when I dock the system again.

The problem persists even after plugging in the external batteries.

I was thinking the computer did not provide enough power to drive the headset but I discovered that if I leave the computer on the dock and I disconnect the power supply (from the dock) the VR headset still works fine.

If the dock is disconnected from power as I mentioned above and I disconnect the HDMI cable going to the external monitor (from the dock) then the VR headset goes black again.

Could you please help me with this issue, the device is useless if we can’t use VR while disconnected from the dock.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 11
3,678 3,665 323 770
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when you undock the video subsystem resyncs, and the laptop usually defaults to a undocked profile this profile can be diffrent than the docked profile

i suspect the above is the cause of your vr blank screen,

try reinstalling the software while undocked to create a undocked profile that has the VR settings installed/updated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is really no software to install while undocked, the problem happens even inside the windows mixed reality portal, we havent even been able to test with our own app.

I got in touch with support and they told me the backpacjk is only compatible with the HP Mixed Reality headset, so we ordered one, but no luck still goes black right after undocking the backpack.

Could you elaborate a bit more on your idea of installing the software again? 

Thanks,

Alvaro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,678 3,665 323 770
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

simply undock, then run the VRsoftware install program again

here's a test, docked run the vr program confirm working normally then shutdown and then undock and run the vr app again.  does it work normally? if so then it's not a docked/undocked profile issue but most likely due to the video display resyncing when docking/undocking and the source of this could be the vr app or the video driver (or both)

once you narow down the culprit(s) contact them with laptop model/OS used/video driver buld and see if they can reproduce the problem if they can they might fix it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

But as I mentioned before, there is nothing to install; Windows Mixed Reality Portal already comes with Windows not as a separate installation.

Any other Ideas from @HPsupport team maybe?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,678 3,665 323 770
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally was able to find a solution, looks like HP did not test this units with Mixed Reality Headsets even thoug they specifically mention its supported.

Mixed reality headsets need an external monitor pluged in to the computer for the device to work, so in order to use the backpack while undocked and connected to any Mixed Reality HMD you have to purchase a Mini DP - DisplayPort display EDID emulator.

I purchased this one and it the computer works properly now with a mixed reality headset.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F13NCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers!

Highlighted
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 240
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are correct, this is an issue with how the Windows MR hardware and software functions.

When the Windows MR goggles are installed, they expect a monitor to always be connected, so when the backpack is undocked, the goggles cut out as it no longer sees a monitor. This will happen on any unit made by any manufacturer.

The VR backpacks were originally designed with the Vive in mine. (Hence the additional power ports at the top eliminating the need for the Vive box.)

There are solutions to get the WIndows MR head set working, however:

If you have the Omen back pack: You can order an EDID emulation dongle to 'fool' the unit into thinking there is a monitor. (Check available ports on the Omen VR backpack and order accordingly. - I believe there is an open mini-DP port on the top.)

If you have the Z VR Backpack: You can use an EDID dongle on this as well, but because this unit has a Quadro GPU, you can inject a digital EDID into the nVidia software to do the same thing. (I have tested this and it does work.)

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation