Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440/640/840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP is notifying me to update the BIOS "for Linux" but in the same notice says the BIOS is independent of the OS.  I am running 64 bit Win 7.

So is the BIOS update relevant for a Win 7 system?  Is it really just for Linux, or is it applicable to Win 7 as well?

I suppose it could be relevant only for Linux but harmless to install on any Z workstation.   And I suppose it might be prudent to update the BIOS in the case that the workstation is changed to a Linux system in the future.  But it's impossible to tell what the exact situation is from the wording of the update alert. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The answer is ...

There's a separate BIOS 2.40 update provided for the Windows OS, under a different SP number unique to the Windows OS.

So I would think they are not identical, and I SHOULD NOT install the Linux version and I SHOULD install the Windows version.

I suppose it's possible that the two different SP's are the same, but why would HP bother to create two separate SP's if that were the case?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

the Bios runs before any operating system loads, and as such it is OS independant

bios updates usually fixes found bugs in the CPU microcode and system hardware detection it can also include support for newer hardware and security fixes

the bios updater files are customised for the listed OS's IE- linux specific files for linux windows files for windows and DOS files for DOS

HP Recommended

The answer is ...

There's a separate BIOS 2.40 update provided for the Windows OS, under a different SP number unique to the Windows OS.

So I would think they are not identical, and I SHOULD NOT install the Linux version and I SHOULD install the Windows version.

I suppose it's possible that the two different SP's are the same, but why would HP bother to create two separate SP's if that were the case?

HP Recommended

OK, but how do you reconcile HP saying the update is both Lnux specific and OS independent?

HP Recommended

it appears you did not understand my previous reply

the linux specific part refers to the files that run under linux to install the "binary" file that is the bios update

the linux files have a specific "SP" service  pack number,

the windows specific files have a diffrent SP number, same for DOS

the "BIN" file that updates the existing  bios on the computer stays the same , it is os independant

only the files that install the bios update have os specific files 

do you understand now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.