Level 3
60 45 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Virtualising the system

HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I wonder what wiull happen if I virtualise my windows 7 pro 64 on my own z420 and try to run it in the cloud - there will be no probllems with this? the virtual system will not check for the cloud hardware to match the original z420 harware?

Dima

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

depends on several factors, but yes it does check Microsoft is not stupid

if a retail or  white boxed copy of win 7, then the Ms servers will only allow one copy of the serial to be used, and if that serial was used to upgrade to win 10 then no copies of win 7 can be activated/used

if a oem ver of win 7 such as HP/Dell (and others) is used then apps such as vmware/virtual box usually force a serial number check during OS setup or running a snapshot of the original hardware but this depends on he virtual program

0 Kudos
dima999
Author
Level 3
60 45 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a really mission-critical question for me….

Ideally I wish to fully virtualise a windows which has an automated routine constantly being executed – I need to be totally sure that I can do these two thing with this virtual image (in case main machine dies):

• I can run it on any other PC in the VMware (it can be another z420, z620 or a simple desktop computer).
  • I can clone my disk and just swap it to another pc (it can be another z420, z620 or a simple desktop computer).

In light of the above – does it make sense to install a simple Windows 7 (with a key bought online) – add the necessary drivers, run on z420 and then virtualize/clone the Windows to run on any other computer? Instead do setting up the system with the original, native recovery media inclided with the z420?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

many online providers are available who offer a pre configured Virtual windows system that can run your application(s)

there is no reasion or point to using vmware if this is all you want to do unless you want to assume the task of keeping the hardware running yourself.

microsoft azure is one such provider of this service

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/virtual-machines/windows/

amazon aws is another

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-online-virtual-Windows-machine

0 Kudos
dima999
Author
Level 3
60 45 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks a lto for your reply - what about performance loss - I will be buying DUAL Xeon e5-2690 worksation soon - do you think this processor can effectively send all processor power inside a virtual machine??? how much do you think will be loss in cpu power as opposed to runnning on bare hardware?

can you recommend a perfect hypertvisro and workstation combo for the fastest internal cpu operation?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

virtual emulation speed depends on what software is being used on the emulated system, and type of disk access used i recomend you take time to read the white papers on the virtual software you would like to use

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation