Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420 Desktop Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'd like to know CPU temps min, max operating range for this Intel CPU during normal (0%-25% CPU) and heavy usage (75%-100% CPU load) . I read various "opinions" online stating anywhere from 64C to 91C.  On start up my PC is running 39C-45C.

Intel's site states "Case Temperature" is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)." at 64C for Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 12M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 0.0 GT/s Intel® QPI. I think this is what I have.

The fan can be increased via the bios but for runs at whatever speed all the time, No idle nor peak speed settings. (No Idle Throttling). When I am running Thermal at 3, the PC is too loud. Running at a 2, the sound level is ok, but temp jump into the 60s to low 70s.

I have been monitoring the CPU temp. Normal operation is betwwen 39C-48C with 10-20% CPU usage. Yet today the CPU is at 10% and the temp is 55C-63C. Thermal is at 2. I run a CPU Stress Test using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and the CPU temp with max at 81C at 100% CPU usage and the thermal is at 2.

I love this machine. I don't want to burn it out. I just want to know if I need to replace a CPU fan or something.

-Any info would be helpful.

HP Z420 Workstation

Thermal in BIOS set at 2 out of 6

Intel Xeon E5 1650 @ 3.20GHz 6 core

Motherboard HP1589 (CPU0)

16GB RAM

NVIDIA NVS 295

3 internal HDs

Win 7 64bit

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Your system is fine. Running at normal temp as tested on HP lab before shipping.

Z420 doesn't have more cooling options like Z8xx, but i'm pretty sure it's fine. No need to worry. Unless you're experiencing cpu throttling or slow downs during heavy load. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. I appreciate it. Thats good to know.

But I would like to know the temp range for this CPU. Do you know the low and high temp range? Now that my CPU is running 58C-65C these days, I just want to know what the red zone is.

With an intermitant sound that sounds like either the CPU fan or the power supply  fan baring rattling, I'd like to know if I need to replace anything prior to any damage to the CPU.

One day last week the CPU hit 81C while monitoring the CPU with HP Performance Advisor. This software stating 81C is normal.  All four fans running from 1554 to 1811. That temp seems high.

I'm just looking for more information.

If anyone know the normal temp range, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks REO.

I'll start watching the CPU temp.

If it goes above 64C, what do you recommend to lower the temp? Thermal is set at 2 out of 6. Yes I can up the fan speed. But the sound....

I have throughly cleaned out the case, CPU fan and blades. I have 4 fans total in the case.

Runing 10-15% CPU load, according to HP Performance Advisor here are related stats:

CPU0 Temperature 57C

System Ambient Temperature 19C

Here are the fan speeds:

CPU0 Fan 1567 RPM

Rear Chassis Fan0 1558 RPM

Front Chassis Fan0 1554 RPM

Memory Fan) 1805 RPM

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Deacon_Blue

Use some canned air to clean all air vents, fans and the CPU heatsink.

Use some new thermal past on the CPU.

REO

HP Recommended

Thanks REO.

I try both and let you know.

HP Recommended

I pulled the Liquid cooling blade and fan, cleaned it (it was clean before), added new TG-7 grease, and reattached it.

No decrease in CPU temp.

Still running 40C at start up; 55C-63C during normal operation.

I did learn that when you set the BIOS thermal setting to the lowest, (--------), the fans run at about 600-700 RPM, except when the CPU gets maxed out and hot- above70C (I think). Then the CPU fan kicks in. Running a CPU stress test using the Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility for 5 minutes, the CPU was running at 100%, CPU temp went up to 83C, and the CPU fan went up to 2205 RPM. It sounded like a jet engine, but hey!

According to the IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool 64bit running it's own stress test, the CPU got up to 80C, which it stated that is recieved a temp 11 degress below max, but never actually stated the max temp. Well, I can do a little math.  My HP Z420  passed all the tests, IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool 64bit threw at it. So maybe 91C is the max ceiling. 

I will continue to monitor CPU temp with the Thernal at the lowest setting. Let post here in a week to update my situation.  

HP Recommended

@Deacon_Blue wrote:

I pulled the Liquid cooling blade and fan, cleaned it (it was clean before), added new TG-7 grease, and reattached it.

No decrease in CPU temp.

Still running 40C at start up; 55C-63C during normal operation.

I did learn that when you set the BIOS thermal setting to the lowest, (--------), the fans run at about 600-700 RPM, except when the CPU gets maxed out and hot- above70C (I think). Then the CPU fan kicks in. Running a CPU stress test using the Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility for 5 minutes, the CPU was running at 100%, CPU temp went up to 83C, and the CPU fan went up to 2205 RPM. It sounded like a jet engine, but hey!

According to the IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool 64bit running it's own stress test, the CPU got up to 80C, which it stated that is recieved a temp 11 degress below max, but never actually stated the max temp. Well, I can do a little math.  My HP Z420  passed all the tests, IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool 64bit threw at it. So maybe 91C is the max ceiling. 

I will continue to monitor CPU temp with the Thernal at the lowest setting. Let post here in a week to update my situation.  

From what you are describing in the above and previous posts its seems that everything is in order and your machine is functioning correctly. I had a Z420 with an E5-1650 and recall similar temp readings.
The Sandybridge / Ivy Bridge processors run hotter than comperable 'modern day' CPU's and the readings you are getting are in line with what is to be expected. Its a good thing you changed the thermal paste, since as these machines are now getting older the original paste is usually hard / crumbly and not doing the best job.
I can confirm that c.a. 91 degrees in the the shut off temperature for these CPU's - I have experimented with a overclocked E5-1650v2 with an open loop watercooling system - turning off the pump the temperatures rapidly rises and at just over 91 degrees Windows displays an error message and shuts the machine down.  
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.