Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Z620 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I realise this machine chipset c602 

Can't boot off from MNVe ssd.

Anyone know what kind card pcie accelerator or any card they have made for this machine. Here my spec hp z620 workstation 1x Intel  xeon e5-1620@3.6GHz,16GB ram,1tb hdd storage and  ssd  Samsung 860 evo m.2 sata 3,  pny quadro k4000  3GB, window 10 pro bios last updated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The best one is called the Z Turbo Drive.    They should have named that Z Turbo Drive G1.

There is a second generation one for the Z440/Z640 generation called the Z Turbo Drive G2.  The first generation has an AHCI based controller, and the second gen has a NVMe controller.  Common are the 256GB, but I like the 512GB ones better.  HP did a BIOS upgrade for the Z420/Z620/Z820 family to allow the first generation ZTD to work, and for that reason your best experience will be to get one of those.  

Unless you like long and difficult alternatives which some S & M advocates here enjoy.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The best one is called the Z Turbo Drive.    They should have named that Z Turbo Drive G1.

There is a second generation one for the Z440/Z640 generation called the Z Turbo Drive G2.  The first generation has an AHCI based controller, and the second gen has a NVMe controller.  Common are the 256GB, but I like the 512GB ones better.  HP did a BIOS upgrade for the Z420/Z620/Z820 family to allow the first generation ZTD to work, and for that reason your best experience will be to get one of those.  

Unless you like long and difficult alternatives which some S & M advocates here enjoy.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all details about it.

HP Recommended

the HP z turbo cards come with ssd's that use the "AHCI" protocall over the pci-e bus the two ssd models hp used were the samsung xp941  and the much faster ahci version of the SM951 The AHCI version carries the code MZ-HPVxxx0

the z turbo G2 uses the same pci-e card but the ssd is a nvme, not ahci and the NVMe version is called MZ-VPVxxx0

both of the above ahci ssd's are now very hard to find and EXPENSIVE!!!

there are several alternatives however i successfully installed and booted a z820 using a Mac 128GB ssd using a pci-e card that has the correct weirdware mac ssd interface and a gen 3 or gen 4 mac ssd the gen 3  ssd's are known in the macworld as "SSUAX" = xp941  and the "SSUBX" SM951 the apple ssd's are available but very pricy in 512GB and larger the sm951 uses 4 pci-e lanes vs the xp941's two pci-e lanes so if possible go for the faster 4 lane ssd (gen 4)

look for PCIe Adapter Card for Apple SSD 2013 2014 2015 2016 Macbook Air Pro A1465 A1466 the connector/ssd will have 12 + 16 pins

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-Adapter-Card-for-Apple-SSD-2013-2014-2015-2016-Macbook-Air-Pro-A1465-A...

and a correct model apple ssd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-256GB-Flash-SSD-SSUBX-Retina-Mac-Pro-iMac-MacBook-Pro-Air-Hard-drive-...

note that this will only work on z workstations that have UEFI so no z800/600 systems will NOT boot from this setup

next we have a software boot loader called DUET/REFIND that preloads the nessary nvme boot code via a USB key allowing you to use any of the nvme based drives as a boot device

last,you have the SATA x2 cards using the marvel 9230 chipset that works on all z workstations as a  bootable device, these cards allow you to raid 0 two sata based ssd's and acheive about 700-800MBps when only the 2 drives are attached

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-4-port-Controller-SI-PEX40057/dp/B00AZ9T264

HP Recommended

Thanks for all advice,I will set up it very soon.

HP Recommended

Hi,Thanks again DGrove.

Alredy i try the Z Turbo find on ebay here in UK, I didn't know about DUET/REFIND software.

So i sold it back on ebay just 5 hours and someone bought it and is gone.Now is very hard to find it is true,

Please note here in uk is not that easy to find everthing,mostly workstation Z parts from USA or China,or Germany,

But very expencive but good,china to cheap i don't trust anymore because take over month for delivery and then is wrong

or not working.Anyway i also try the last card option sata3 adapter by amazon and based ssd 2"5 was running more faster

than normal about 700mbs. Now about 2 months using from amazon Rivo card adapter  double k+M 

it can running both ssd nvme or m.2 sata, again i didn't know about DUET/REFIND and from amazon i got 

samsung 860 evo 250 M.2 sata  2 notch  not NVMe.And i would like the Apple ssd and card option,

Already got the card exatly the same from your link above,and not easy to find the ssd i need,very expencive too.

But soon i'll get one 256GB  from CEX shop. At moment im read and watching videos about DUET/REFIND software

i never used it before so for me is something new might need help if im stock somewhere,got 2 usb key one 16GB sandisk,one 8GB, So put  the w10pro file on usb16GB and Duet/Refind on 8GB, then wich one do i need running first? To running it properly?

Please note i hope is clear the message here,just waiting for items delivery sometimes next week,and fix it.The only i am worry 

the Refind software to let it work.Please if you can let me know many thanks.

HP Recommended

the apple card/ssd does NOT require anything more, simply insert it into the z620/820 and it behaves just like the HP Z Turbo Card does

DUET /REFIND is used to allow booting from a NVME based storage device, it's simply a software loader that preloads the nessary nvme boot code off of a usb key before the z620/820 boot sequence loads all you need for duet/refind is

1. 2gb usb key

2. 8gb usb key for windows install image

3. PCI-E x4 M.2 card

4. NVME based m.2 ssd

and of course DUET/REFIND (20220 version)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ogEdBzKrLRkz0SRwLphpFemRLWmgayA-

HP Recommended

OK thanks again, got the card apple and find the exatly same ssd from your link Samsung 256GB SSD MZ-JPV2560/0A4 PCIE (for Macbook Pro/Air) 2012/2016 model. I must wait for delivery both item, so for do it in order before removing window

i install the software to save into usb key, and of course window file image into another usb key.I used this usb key for update the bios and work fine.When i got both card and ssd delivered i will removing my temporary window 10 hard drive because 

already i sold on ebay last night my stuff Rivo card and 250 ssd samsung 860 evo m.2 sata not NVMe.

So i have 1TB toshiba HDD using for storage and let any ssd using only window file 10GB the large file fotos games dowloding and morelet the storage running it that way the ssd is good and faster.And on this case i formatted it and install w10 pro free

temporary untill get new ssd to install the activation key window.So after install the ssd and card do i need running the duet/refind first then window or opposite way?

HP Recommended

FOR THE LAST FLIPPING TIME!!!!!!...................................

nothing else is needed if using the apple PCI-E card/SSD on a z620/820

place the apple ssd onto the apple pci-e card, insert card in the z 620/820 and install windows...................that's it nothing more is needed/required

HP Recommended

Hi DGrove,finally got card and ssd apple kit,and all good much better more faster without any issuses,

Thanks for your help, You are the Best 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.