Level 2
33 21 0 3
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

What is the motherboard?

HP Recommended
Z200 workstation sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need help finding out the name of the motherboard as I plan to upgrade my computer does anyone know? I have looked in the quickspecs and couldn't find it.

7 REPLIES 7
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,357 11,484
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gamers-inc

I couldn't find anything with name of motherboard. .but the Maintenance Manual lists compatible hardware upgrades.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02016642

Chipset-Intel PCH 3450:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z200-small-form-factor-workstation/4132643/document/c0206663...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is what I found, but some hyperlinks may not be active:

HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation Specifications

BING's cache of the above document

HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation - Overview ...

HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation - Maintenance and Service Guide

which states that it takes (expensive) ECC RAM, up to four sticks, up to 4GB per stick.

Are you really sure that you want to do any upgrades on this "antique" system?

0 Kudos
Gamers-inc
Author
Level 2
33 21 0 3
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sould I not do upgrades?

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Should I not do upgrades?

I think that your update options will be very expensive, and probably will not provide a significant boost in performance. Also, updating an "antique" system can only be amortized over 2 or 3 years -- after that, you'll probably need to replace the motherboard.

Start with a modern motherboard, supporting:

• much more than 16GB of RAM,
  • quad-core & six-core & eight-core processors,
  • "high-end" PCI-E graphic adapter cards,
  • SSD devices transfering data at 6 Gbit/second speed,

and you'll be much happier for the next 5 years.

0 Kudos
Gamers-inc
Author
Level 2
33 21 0 3
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mdklassen thats the thing I can't get a moderen graphics card because it is in a sff case thats why I wanted to know the motherboard because then I can find a case for the board since the i/o is on the left instead of the right, right where the graphics card slot is for moderen cases my card slots and i/o are reversed for moderen cases. For right now for a graphics card I have an AMD Radeon HD 7570 and want to upgrade it.

0 Kudos
s1g3
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Next time you want to know your motherboard's model on a logged-in windows session, just type this in a CMD terminal (cmd.exe): 

wmic baseboard get product
0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,502 4,485 410 940
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DDR-3 ECC ram (which is what the z200 uses) is expensive only if bought new from a retailer if you buy used ram from a seller on ebay, you can get a money back warranty from most major memory resellers

DDR-3 ECC ram is being dumped on the market as Data centers, and other users of this ram type (DDR3) have moved on to DDR4 type ram

you can buy 64GB of DDR3 ECC or non ECC ram quite cheaply on ebay

The HP Z200 Workstation takes the PC3-8500/10600 DDR3 SDRAM DIMM 240pin memory Memory 

ram speed is dependant on the CPU model installed, however  you can use 13333 speed as it will step down to 10600

here's a example ebay link for 16GB (4 four GB modules ECC type) for 29.00 US dollars

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-Lot-Of-4-HYNIX-DDR3-4GB-PC8500-ECC-16GB-Memory-RAM-1066mhz-D3-GOOD-MEMOR...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation