Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone.

I have a problem with my SSD samsung PM 981 NVMe 256Gb. 

When i installing new  window i can't use  uefi  mode only all legacy mode.I try but it do a lots restart and can't find any hard driver also invite me to insert disk and install it even disk in ready to do so.Then fatal error appear,restart and do all again again.

Now it running ok on legacy but the first 3 or 4 restart must switch off pc and on again it will keep updating and installing all driver,can't following the restart because back on fatal error.So i am a little confusion here.Anyone know  What is the right order to set up an ssd NVMe samsung PM981 256GB with Zturbo card G1 not G2 plus 500GB HDD storage Inside the Bios?

Please note someone told me this way is wrong i must using uefi but dosn't work,that why i am asking please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

set the z440 back to factory defaults 

install the sd in a pci-e 3.0 x4 or better slot

power on system, enter bios, ssd should be seen in storage devices section, make sure the 981 or windows boot manager is the second device (if boot from usb is enabled) or first device (you manually select  win install usb key via F9)

make sure you have downloaded a win install image that supports GPT and legacy installs (the MS site is dual install) some custom installers only support legacy install and nvme drives require a GPT 64 bit windows installer

the ONLY difference between the turbo G1/G2 cards is the ssd used ,  G1 uses a PCI-E AHCI based ssd, G2 uses a NVME ssd

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

set the z440 back to factory defaults 

install the sd in a pci-e 3.0 x4 or better slot

power on system, enter bios, ssd should be seen in storage devices section, make sure the 981 or windows boot manager is the second device (if boot from usb is enabled) or first device (you manually select  win install usb key via F9)

make sure you have downloaded a win install image that supports GPT and legacy installs (the MS site is dual install) some custom installers only support legacy install and nvme drives require a GPT 64 bit windows installer

the ONLY difference between the turbo G1/G2 cards is the ssd used ,  G1 uses a PCI-E AHCI based ssd, G2 uses a NVME ssd

HP Recommended

Hello  DGroves.Thanks for help.I didn't try that way because i didn't know.Also in all uefi in wrong way couldn't find any driver and give me fatal error and 6 beep.try to tell me the GPU is no power.So i restart again by using yellow botton to clear cosmos,

and nothing wrong with GPU.I though i brake it but Now i know where do i need react inside Bios. I just check the Bios now before i reply and honestly i don't know how i did but is set up exatly what you wrote here for me Thanks.

I hope Microsoft put back on this 7th generation  on list for W11, because i think it can running it.

I seen the my TPM 1.2 can upgrade to 2.0 through firmaware. Of course  defo i need new GPU direct 12 because i am using 

an GTX 760 MSI 2gb not good for it. But if not i just keep use it with W10 untill expiring on 12/10/2025 then of course is older i will buy new one. One more question can i use normal adapter  card with 1TB ssd nvme pcie.I am asking before buy because on list storage say 256GB and 512GB only with Zturbo G1.I mean it doesn't mention high capacity ssd.

The rest all good i like it the boot only 8 seconds very nice machine responding very fast just bought it 2 months ago also it expired warranty last month. And i won't buy another pc right now for W11, This machine running very well w10,Linux.

Thanks for all help again just wondering if i can put big ssd on 1TB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.