Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, this has likely been dealt with before but,

I have a Z820  motherboard is AS#618266-003

It's a dual Xeon E5 2680 

PC 12800R memory

Although this is a bios issue it started without any involvement with the bios. I never flashed it or even accessed it.

I boot the computer and the fans came on full blast, no beeps, solid blue light on motherboard . No beeps, no screen or bios.

No biggie seen lots of this over the years. Clear the cmos. easy. Press the button. Reboot. Same thing. Hmm. take it up a notch. Remove battery. Leave it while I eat. Go back put battery in. Boot. Same thing. Look online. Crisis recovery jumpeer. Okay. I jump that but surprisingly I didn't read everything. I simply changed the jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3 then back. or vice versa. I press the button and it starts and runs normal for 2 days. I come back day 3 boot same as before loud fans. Okay. the shorten this story I did all my homework on Crisis recovery to USB 4gig fat 16 USB 2 port on front etc etc etc. 4 days and not one step closer. removed all the cards memory cpu etc. no beeps.

I deem this board toast. Would you all agree? My main question. What EXACT board should I replace this with? Man, I cannot get 2 people that agree. Help. LOL  

It's motherboard 2012 Rev 1:02 AS#618266-003 and I'm using the E5-2680 CPU's. What is my best next move?

Thanks folks

Jarv
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the board rev is not a absolute guarantee of a rev 2 board, the only sure way is via the bootblock date

with that said i've never personally seen a 003/004 board that was rev 1 as these board revisions came late in the z820 period

i have personally seen rev 002 boards in rev 1 and rev 2, and a single 001 rev 2 board i suspect most defective boards were reworked and updated to rev 2 when the boards were repaired by HP or whoever hp contracts to for z820 board repairs

in regards to board replacement, sometimes it's cheaper/same cost to get a z820 complete or almost complete system ...going this way gets you spare parts!!!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

HERE  is a good post to start with:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z820-e5-2600-v2-ne...

My recollection is that the Z820 "assembly part number" (AS#) on the right on the white bar code label that end in -003 and -004 both are "version 2" motherboards.  That is, they can run both the v1 and v2 HP certified processors.  I'm assuming you've got your boot block date for that motherboard written down by now, and check that against the posted info on v1 and v2 Z820 motherboard boot block dates here in the forum.

Read my comments in that post about that extra label stating with "Replace with HP Spare...".  That is on a minority of motherboards but it will tell you if the motherboard is branded as a Linux or a Windows OS motherboard.  That has to do with how easy/cheap it is to convert it to W10Pro64.  All these workstations can get to that with the proper knowledge.

So the answer is get a -003 or a -004 motherboard.  Those can run both v1 and v2 processors.  Your processors are stated to be v1 versions, by the fact you did not state "E5-2680 v2".  Finally, branding a virgin motherboard is a Masters Degree project which I have done and don't enjoy.  What Salsimp did in converting a v1 to a v2 motherboard was beyond PhD work....  It is all in here.  Note the Revision alphanumeric at the bottom right corner of the white bar code labels.... those go up sequentially across all the different motherboard versions.  The earliest would be Rev 0A on a -001 AS# motherboard, and they go up from there.  Highest Z820 I've seen was -004 with Rev 0W.  So, for example, if you had a bunch of -003 ones to choose from ideally get the one with the highest alpha number (if the price is right).  We cracked the code on this a few years back.

I agree you have a need for a new motherboard, but at least try a fresh new CMOS battery first.

HP Recommended

the board rev is not a absolute guarantee of a rev 2 board, the only sure way is via the bootblock date

with that said i've never personally seen a 003/004 board that was rev 1 as these board revisions came late in the z820 period

i have personally seen rev 002 boards in rev 1 and rev 2, and a single 001 rev 2 board i suspect most defective boards were reworked and updated to rev 2 when the boards were repaired by HP or whoever hp contracts to for z820 board repairs

in regards to board replacement, sometimes it's cheaper/same cost to get a z820 complete or almost complete system ...going this way gets you spare parts!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea the hoops to jump through for a motherboard swap. I’ll be buying another similar unit and have a spare power supply. Hopefully one with no ram or video or drives. 

Jarv
HP Recommended

yup. Did the battery first almost. I’m going to toss in the towel. That link lays out a protocol I don’t have time for nor have the patience or know how. I’ll Look for a barebones 820 and salvage my parts. Best financial move. 

thanks. 

Jarv
HP Recommended

What happens if I simply swap boards? Disregarding any kind of HP involvement. My own OS etc. 

Jarv
HP Recommended

I'll keep this simple.  There is zero doubt in my mind that both DGroves and I would do exactly that.

HP Recommended

if you can find just a board cheaper than a case + motherboard that's obviously the way to go

a first time z820 board swap will take about 60/90 min for a first time user, the main issue is that the board will only come out if you position it just right, and this is what takes a fair amount of time doing this for a first time, however once you do it once or twice, the swap time goes down to about 25 min to  pull the board, replace it and reconnect all connections

note that you only need a torx bit and pliers  if the new board is missing the mounting hardware

and you need to reuse your old boards hardware.

if the new board comes with the mounting hardware (most do) no tools are necessary for the board swap

HP Recommended

Thanks. I see motherboards with the right credentials for about $400 delivered (CDN) I can't get a barebones for near that. 
thanks for the tips. I had gotten confused at the branding part. I take lots of pictures when I do any new tech work so I have a failsafe reference. 003 or 004 board. 

Jarv
HP Recommended

One more quick question. How do I determine whether it’s a Linux or Windows board? My old board had a 003 designation with another couple letters OL on it. Does that stand for OS Linux?

Jarv
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.