Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
z420 recycled
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased a HP 22 in 1 media card reader that also has usb2 port and firewire. I was wondering where do I connect it on the motherboard?

Above The Firehouse
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

read the HP z420 user service manual, if your board has any onboard usb ports the manual will list their location

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

HP Recommended

But it evokes with two connectors one the usb and then the firewire connector. That was what I meant to as . My bad 

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

Read this recent post  HERE  where your current question was answered then.  Read the manual.  If you have a question from a prior thread it is best to post it in the prior thread.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Add-USB3-HP-Media-...

The basics:  you want USB3 speeds if possible from your card reader, and you won't get it from that slow old device.  The post shows you how to get USB3 speeds.  The firewire and the USB ports on your card reader both go at about USB2 speeds.... 1/10th that of USB3.

There is only one set of header pins along the bottom edge of your motherboard for firewire, and it is the slow interface of firewire 400 that about matches speed of USB2.  That header already is occupied with the front firewire 400 cable that feeds to the front of your Z420.... regardless of what cable you choose to use it will still be only firewire 400.  The USB2 cable from your USB2 card reader plugs into any one of the 3 spare internal USB2 sets of header pins.... also stuck at 1/10th speed the speed of USB3.  DGroves explained that there is even a newer level of media cards/card readers above the USB3 version I refer to, but all the parts along the whole chain need to be compatible to get that level of performance.  To me USB3 is a goal worth aiming for right now.

Read the post.... works great.  Might require some extra parts and reading the manual but worth it.  Put that HP "2x2" Texas Instruments chipset card in the very top short PCIe slot in the Z420/Z620 workstations.  That will get you full USB3 speeds......

HP Recommended

s-l1600.jpgOk, it was not about usb3 just connecting the firewire port that is on the card reader but since I have two in the case I don't neem another.   WHat your pointing out to me is that part I got will give me usb3 speeds on a usb2 card reader? 

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

My advice is to hire this out to a computer shop.

HP Recommended

it is already installed and I don't need to connect the firewire. Its a 2.0 reader not a 3.0.  Have a good day.

Above The Firehouse
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.