cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HangZh
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Which powersupply to choose for my Z420 workstation to support GTX 1080Ti graphics card?

HP Recommended
Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z420 workstation. I most recently bought a GTX 1080Ti graphics card. However, the default power supply of my Z420 does not have the 8-pin plug in to power my graphics card.

Any suggestions on what power supply I should buy in order for my graphics card 1080Ti? 

1 REPLY 1
MtothaJ
Level 6
333 321 20 104
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HangZh wrote:

I have a HP Z420 workstation. I most recently bought a GTX 1080Ti graphics card. However, the default power supply of my Z420 does not have the 8-pin plug in to power my graphics card.

Any suggestions on what power supply I should buy in order for my graphics card 1080Ti? 

A reference 1080TI uses a 8 pin and a 6 pin. You should be ok by using one of the stock 6 pins for the 6 pin connection and getting a 6 to 8 pin adapter for the 8 pin connector. This would be the first thing to do, since these adapters are very cheap and in all likelihood your system will run fine.

Take into account that the Z420 does not have a standard ATX PSU wiring, so if you want to use an aftermarket power supply you would need to buy an 18 to 24 pin adapter for the main motherboard connection.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation