Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 g3
Other

Sata hotplug is an integral part of the SATA specification at 1.5, 3 and 6GB/s.

For some reason which apparently not even HP support know, not only has sata hotplug been disabled in the Elitedesk 800 g3 models, but all mention of it is missing from the bios setup, along with any ability to reenable hot plugging.

This impacts anyone using sata hot plug devices (removable racks or via esata adaptor cables)

HP support's response to a query about this was to waffle on about "esata only supporting 3GB/s" (demonstrably untrue when looking at sata specs) "Which is why we removed rear panel esata connectors" (which isn't what I asked about) and not to even address the issue of sata hot plug being missing. 

I'd appreciate a statement of why this has been done, when it means that the devices no longer comply with SATA standards (hotplug is an integral part of the spec. The chipsets support it.)

Permanently disabling SATA hotplug in BIOS means that the devices are BROKEN - and all the online documentation for Elitedesks talks about the uses of hotplugging, with no mention whatsoever that it has been disabled in g3 products.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP doesn’t have an official presence on this forum other than for administration and moderation. The assistance that you receive is mainly from volunteers.

Not all BIOSs will make hotplug/hotswap available.   I have used a number of different HP PCs and some didn't enable those functions via the BIOS menus.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

HP's problem really. It cost them a contract for around 600 systems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.