Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Will not load OS

HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z420 and I want to install a SSD drive for the OS.  When I try to load Windows on it there is no drive to install the OS.  It does show up in the BIOS.

HELP!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Skylarking
Level 6
382 364 22 69
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the 'HP z420 Workstation Maintenance and Services Guide', google it and read, the motherboard has four SATA3 6Gb/s connectors wired to the Intel Sunrise Point C236 chipset.

z420 architecture.JPG

Keep in mind that the c236 chipset supports AHCI and RAID 0/1/5/10 features.

As such, system firmware allows you to enable the RAID features. It also allows you to hide ports from the OS, set secure boot, set boot order, etc, etc. Best to have a good look through the system firmware and a good read of the above mentioned doc.

Also keep in mind that if you have enabled RAID and then try and install Windows, the OS needs somewhere to load the OS which means it must have the required drivers to actually see the hardware and thus the volume you should have created prior. 

But such issues have been asked and answered before, as an example see here. Maybe you need to polish you google foo skills as well as reading some HP documents  :Wink:

If you have not enabled RAID within the system firmware and you are running only in AHCI mode, then you have another issue and need to provide more details on what you have and want to achieve. Then possibly someone can help.

PS: also read the top thread on this forum titled 'Installing Windows 7 on a new PC' could be helpful to your understanding.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SDH
Level 10
2,325 2,275 217 675
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the SSD brand new and raw?  If so you need to format it first.  It can be seen by BIOS and Device Manager and Disk Management in a raw state but not by the OS installer.  Do a MBR format, long type, with it in as a second drive in a workstation that will boot from another drive than the SSD.

Then, there is a whole project beyond that doing a clean install.

Have you thought about doing a capture of the HDD install from HP via Acronis, and then cloning that over to the SSD.  That is a lot easier, and it saves your HP OEM COA.

Have you captured your HP Recovery Media from your original Z420..... that can be very valuable to have, and I'd do it onto a thumb drive.  That can only be done once...... unless you do it again from the new install, and on, and on.....  Just in case you wanted a couple of spares.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation