Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z420

Hi

I have hp z420 and samsung 950 pro in nvme to pci-e adapter.

I can select it in boot menu, but booting actually never works for me.

Win10 install tells me that I this disk is not bootable.

I also can't find this ssd anywhere in BIOS settings like I can with sata based drives

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Maybe it works only on specific PCI-e ports/bios versions (I beleivew I have the latest one, so 3.96)?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

the 950 pro is a unique SSD in that it contains the nessary nvme boot code in the ssd's firmware to allow  this nvme based ssd to boot from many (but not all) legacy systems that lack the nessary nvme boot code in their bios (most pre x99 chipsets)

the HP z420 bios may not be compatible, however try thes steps first

is the latest bios installed? if not download it from the HP site and apply using either DOS or use the option from within the bios itself to update note that UPDATING BIOS FROM WINDOWS 10 IS NOT RECOMENDED AND CAN BRICK THE SYSTEM

reset the BIOS to "FACTORY" defaults by resetting the CMOS on most "z" workstations this is done by removing power cord pressing pwr button for 5 sec then open case and press cmos reset button

make sure the pci-e card is inserted into a x4 ( or higher) pci-e 3.0 compatable slot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.