Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Z420 Workstation that I want to speed up.  Will the processor below in blue work?  I currently have the following installed:

3.20 gigaherz Intel Xeon E5-1650 0
384 kilobyte primary memory cache
1536 kilobyte secondary memory cache
12288 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (6 total)
Hyper-threaded (12 total) 

Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.1GHz Eight Core SR0KG (CM8062107184308) Processor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's a new one for you......

What is the sSpec code for that processor, not the original version but the newer C2 stepping one that you'd want if that is the processor you finally choose?

What is the lowest price for that on eBay with free shipping?  (hint... the answer to that second one is $187.00 USD).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

using google check the  "hp z420  quickspecs"

HP Recommended

DGroves, thanks for the reply.  That is the first place I checked.  However, due to the version number etc I want a more exact answer before I spend close to $300. 

HP Recommended

The answer is yes.  Now some questions for you......

Is your heatsink/fan sufficient to cool a 150W max TDP processor?

What is your boot block date?

Do you know if you have a v1 or a v2 Z420?

Do you know that a v2 cheaper processor or even a later v1 cheaper processor might get you higher performance than an expensive early v1 processor?

Can that processor run the fastest memory that some of the HP approved v2 processors for the Z420 can?

What is the fastest memory that a v2 Z420 can run?

Is it buffered or unbuffered, or either?

How much is a v2 Z420 used motherboard from eBay?

HP Recommended

WoW!.  You have given me more questions than I would have hoped for.  I will have to check on your questions and go from there.  I will probably post what I find.  I might not be able to find the answers to all your questions.  Thanks for your response though.

HP Recommended

Here's a new one for you......

What is the sSpec code for that processor, not the original version but the newer C2 stepping one that you'd want if that is the processor you finally choose?

What is the lowest price for that on eBay with free shipping?  (hint... the answer to that second one is $187.00 USD).

HP Recommended

I give up!  There are too many questions asked that I can not find the answeres.  I am going to stay with what I have.  Thanks to everyone that answered my question.  I REALLY hoped the answer would be a simple yes or no.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.