terri2005
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows 10 1803 with z420

HP Recommended
HP z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When Windows updated to 1709 and then 1803, my nvidia graphics card no longer worked properly.  I lost my multple displays and my grahics and monitor drivers defaulted to generic.  Before upgrading the grahics card, I need to know if the motherboard will support the change, or if the OS is just too much for the hardware.  As Windows 10 worked fine with the card until the fall creator update, I am not sure where the conflict trly is.  If it will take a newer graphics card, any suggestions on what might be compatible?   (it's a PCI)

Thank you 

Model #: HP Z420 Workstation
Product #: F1L07UT#ABA
[personal information removed]
Software Build #: 11WWVAPW601#SABA#DABA

4 REPLIES 4
SDH
Level 10
2,311 2,262 215 674
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You mention that it is a PCI card..... do you know the difference between a PCI slot and a PCIe slot?

You don't mention the exacty card it is.

And, what slot is it placed in?

Do you know that nVidia offers updated video card drivers often more recent than what Microsoft includes in its auto-updates for W7/W10?

The drivers you use should be chosen correctly for the card and also for whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
terri2005
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry,

There are 2 pcie x16 slots and the card is in the top slot.  It is a GeForce 210 which seems to no longer be supported by nvidia.  I am more concerned as to whether the currenbt HP system will work ok with a card that will respond to the latest windows update, or if the update does not like the z420 build.

Thank you!

DGroves
Level 11
4,681 4,655 440 987
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the windows 10 fall update/creators updates are actually full OS installs, and while microsoft tries to keep as many settings as possible there are some that it does/can not your video setup is not a standard one and and was most likely overwritten with the generic microsoft video settings, to restore the multi display settings you will have to download the latest nvidia video drivers and run the  "clean install" option on setup" to remove any previous settings and then enter the nvidia control panel and reconfigure the display settings to what you were using before the OS update

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3148/~/how-to-set-up-multiple-monitors

nvidia also makes a softtware package called nView for multi monitor support check your installed software  to see if you have it installed, if so try uninstalling and reinstalling

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/solutions/nview-display/

SDH
Level 10
2,311 2,262 215 674
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have both version 1 and version 2 Z420s and Z620s, and Z640s.... Windows 10 Professional 64-bit works equally well in all of them.

May I recommend an inexpensive excellent used Quadro video card for you?  We're using the Quadro 2000 cards and also the more recent K2000 cards that you can find easily off eBay.  Those both have been fully accepted by the Windows 10 installer including during this most recent Spring update.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation