cszalwinski
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 10 Feature 1703 won't install

HP Recommended
HP z240 L9K69UT#AbA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows Update fails to install 1703 with error code 1900200. Desktop originally shipped with Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Does this new feature update work with HP Z240 Desktops?

3 REPLIES 3
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doing major upgrades to Windows 10 via Windows Update has been fairly unreliable for me, with loss of connectivity and error messages..... maybe because I'm always pushing to be early in the roll out.  The current "Fall Creators Update" to Windows 10 is actually version 1709.  There is a little known method to get this to install most easily.  I'll refer here to W10Pro64 version USA version, but the same method works for other versions that you can pick from.  This method will not upgrade your install above what you already are licensed for centrally at Microsoft:

1.  Make sure your workstation has the latest BIOS installed.

2.  Your workstation needs to have been registered with the central Microsoft servers with its W10Pro64 having been installed and activated previously.  From that point on you never need to re-enter the COA code.... it just automatically checks in with MS and confirms it is already registered as a background process.  It uses your workstation's UUID for that.

3.  Do a little research on how to create a USB drive using the MS Windows 10 installer process.... Go HERE to download the tool from Microsoft, and then use the tool with a USB target drive inserted when you run the tool.  This is an official MS on-line method, and you want to choose to make the USB with the option of doing it for another workstation, and to choose that it will be for W10Pro64 (choose the correct type for the W10Pro64 box you'll be updating).  There are some strange N and NK etc types but just choose W10Pro64 without those added letters if you're using a USA type install.  That USB stick needs to be about 8 GB size, and I use a 10GB good quality stick and reformat it to default standards before starting, FAT32.  Here is that link again:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4.  The USB drive that the process creates will be bootable, and it will work for clean installs.  However, what I do for updating from a prior functioning W10Pro64 install to the Fall Creators Update W10Pro64 version of that install is to boot up the computer, disconnect the network cable, plug in the USB drive, navigate to the USB drive, and double click launch the setup.exe that is on the USB drive.

5.  The upgrade process will proceed, and at an early point it will recommend that you do an update (which would require internet access).  Click "next" to proceed without doing that.  As the update then proceeds you can plug back in your internet access.  The idea is to avoid Windows Update from trying to automatically connect and begin updates before you want it to, before the USB update process is under way.

6.  The upgrade process is long, and some automatic restarts will occur.  After everything is stabilized and done I'll then run the W10 Windows Update again from within W10 (USB drive now disconnected).  There already is an upgrade to the 1709 upgrade.....

This method has worked every time for me over the last several years of W10Pro64's evolution.

0 Kudos
cszalwinski
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I only got as far as starting the upgrade process (step 5). Early on, this process reported that setup cannot update the system partition:

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

Any other suggestions?

Partitions 1.png

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The system reserved partiton size has sequentially gotten larger and larger from W7Pro64 through W8.x and into W10Pro64.

Do a google search for "system reserved partition size for windows 10".  I've had to reallocate some space into the system reserved partition to get W10Pro64 to install in the past.  You'll need to read up on that.

This type of issue is why I usually start my system builds with a freshly reformatted (long type NTFS) MBR partition type SSD and let the installer create its system reserved partition (which in W10 is 350MB or larger).  IIRC I've seen that near 500MB on some W10 clean installs.  Don't worry aout spending that capacity.... the overall W10 install is quite a bit smaller than you might expect.

There is a Microsoft overview of how to do this,  HERE:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error...

EDIT:  I had to click on the reload circle arrow in my browser to get the images to show for the link below.  It is better in my opinion than the MS one above (if you can see the screen shots he posted),     HERE .

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/error-we-couldnt-update...

Note that the author's preferred partition change utility is EaseUS Partition Master, free version, and that there is a little box to check while running the program to optimize the process for a SSD boot drive.  Make sure to check that box if you are using a SSD (which I'd highly recommend if you are not).

As with most of these free utility program downloads they're trying to get you to buy their pay-for version, and have a "customer experience" checkbox option that you don't want, and another checkbox that is pre-checked where they hope you'll click through that and get Yahoo or Norton installed (which you also don't want).  Uncheck those, and you also can use a false email address to get to the free download page..... voice of experience.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation