Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After WIndows 10 install, I get a non-system disk error after a shutdown.  The computer boots without problem after a restart.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  The install went without issue and the workstation seemed to be functioning correctly.  However, if I shut the computer down and then power on, I get a non-system disk error.  If I eneter the bios settings page and then exit without making any changes, the computer will boot normally. 

After some online research I have tried holding down power button while unplugged and also unchecking 'Fast Startup' but the problem persists.  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

That sounds a little like a faulty SATA cable...check it before we shall look someplace else!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

I have tried different SATA cables and the problem persists.

Also, the computer will restart every time witout issue.  It only fails to boot after shutdown.

HP Recommended

maybe the cmos battery is the problem...try changing that too if you have a spare...

if restarting works...but only when its shut down are issues...

Can you enter in BIOS without any problem after the computer was shutdown? is the clock accurate there?

Just trying to figure this out...and give you some ideeas!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

I replaced the cmos battery and verified that the date and time were being retained when re-entering the bios screen.  I have no problem entering the bios setting screen after either restart or shutdown.  In fact, that is the only way the computer will boot after shutdown.

HP Recommended

i suspect the issue is with the boot device itself if it's a mech drive, download the drive makers diagnostic test program

all major drive makers have this available for download

if a SSD post the make/model number

HP Recommended

It is a Western Digital HDD.  I ran WD Estended Diagnostic Check and the drive passed with no errors.

Thanks for the suggestion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.