Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7900 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see my buddy Paul_Tikkanen had a HP Compaq dc7900 SFF with Windows 10 on it in another thread.  I could not message him so am posting it here.  I just aquired one of these fine old machines and want to put Windows 10 on it.  Just wondering if there will be any roadblocks with this direction.  I could put Windows 7 back on it, or Linux if 10 is not going to be in easy task.  

I'm also curious as to the Size of the HDD, I'd never seen one like this.  It is a little thinner than the average 3.5 Drive?  I'm curious if there are still drives available for this machine, and or, if a Standard 3.5 will fit, or even a 2.5?

One of the better old machines that HP made, and it came with Vista, though Windows 7 was on it and I'm quite sure they came with Windows 7 also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I had no issues with mine.

Use the W7 amt driver for the PCI Serial Port and I found that the W7 soundmax driver provided better audio quality than the generic W10 audio driver did.

As far at the hard drives, I know what you mean...the drive is thinner than what I was used to, but I think a 'standard' 3.5"  HDD would fit just as well.

HP put those drives an many form factor PC's.  I had one in my dc7800 CMT for example.

I would toss in a 2.5" SSD for best performance.  You would need a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy.

Anyway, let me know if you need any help with the drivers.

Make sure the drive controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS for best performance.

A lot of companies were running XP on those and some of the IT folks just set the controller to IDE so WXP would install without the need of adding the SATA AHCI drivers.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hi:

I had no issues with mine.

Use the W7 amt driver for the PCI Serial Port and I found that the W7 soundmax driver provided better audio quality than the generic W10 audio driver did.

As far at the hard drives, I know what you mean...the drive is thinner than what I was used to, but I think a 'standard' 3.5"  HDD would fit just as well.

HP put those drives an many form factor PC's.  I had one in my dc7800 CMT for example.

I would toss in a 2.5" SSD for best performance.  You would need a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy.

Anyway, let me know if you need any help with the drivers.

Make sure the drive controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS for best performance.

A lot of companies were running XP on those and some of the IT folks just set the controller to IDE so WXP would install without the need of adding the SATA AHCI drivers.

HP Recommended

Great information Paul, thanks again.  I will follow your instructions.  I did do some research last night and learned a little.  I cleaned it all up really nice and was impressed with the construction and thought, ooh, I'l fix it up nice with an SSD and sell it, but folks just don't appreciate this kind of tech anymore.  

I think I will use the Drive in there now, fix it up with Windows 10 and donate it to one of the local groups.  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I gave mine away to my son for his house.

You may still be able to upgrade to W10 for free...see this link...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I can't vouch for how the onboard Intel graphics adapter works.

I bought a dell Radeon HD 2400 low profile graphics card for the one I had from eBay.

That is my go to card to add digital video to older PC's, and in the case of the dc7900, it frees up a little system memory, because it was the first HP business desktop to include digital video via the display port.

W10 works fine with the HD 2400.  It automatically installs the graphics driver.

This is the cheapest one out there...buy it now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-ATI-B170-Radeon-HD-2400-Pro-256-MB-Low-Profile-DVI-S-Video-Graphics-Car...

HP Recommended

That's golden Paul, I will keep that graphics card in my notes because money it tight right now I'm not buying to many extra parts.  I'm sure I have some RAM laying around and will stick it in there.

Thanks again, your knowledge is always well appreciated.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

As always, glad to be of assistance.

HP Recommended

Paul, I'm not sure of the newest BIOS to download.  The description is not what I'm used to seeing.  Will you tell me which one to Install?

Under BIOS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-dc7900-small-form-factor-pc/3785403

#1  "Business Desktops BIOS Utilities"

Or

#3  " HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786G1 BIOS)"

They both say BIOS in the description, but I think #3 is actually the BIOS, am I correct?

Right now I have:  786G1 v01.16, 3/5/2009

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you want the latest BIOS update file, then you need this one (last one listed)...the 3rd one on the driver page is older (v1.23).

v01.27    Nov 27, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73501-74000/sp73584.exe

If you have already installed W10, you need to install it using the F10 BIOS flash method, because the file was not written to be run in W8 or newer.

I would run it using the F10 BIOS flash method even if you are still on W7, but that is your call.

HP Recommended

I still have Windows 7 on it, but it is not running well at all.  I have not used the F10 Setup BIOS Upgrade before.  I did see this little bit of info:  "Flash System ROM Allows you to update the system ROM with a BIOS image file located on a USB flash media device or CD-ROM.'

What I'm not sure of is, does the BIOS need to be the only thing on the USB, or can I use a USB that I have a few things on?

HP Recommended

No, you will have to format the flash drive with the FAT32 file system, so you would have to temporarily put the files elsewhere.

If you format a drive with the FAT32 file system, it has to be 32 GB or less.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.