Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600 Workstation Dual zennon
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Machine originally delivered with Windows 8. Qualified for free upgrade to windows 10.

Woindows 10 has run fine on machine for 3 years until upgrade from build 1709 to build 1803 in May 2017. This upgrade constantly fails, can HP or any users here offer a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the quickest fix is to simply download the current win 10 installer from the microsoft site (v1809) and create a new Installer (either USB key or DVD) then back up your data and do a clean win 10 install

the harder way entails you telling us what windows says when it fails on the 1803 update and then reading and providing the setup and install logs

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the quickest fix is to simply download the current win 10 installer from the microsoft site (v1809) and create a new Installer (either USB key or DVD) then back up your data and do a clean win 10 install

the harder way entails you telling us what windows says when it fails on the 1803 update and then reading and providing the setup and install logs

HP Recommended

I would back DGroves recommendation. I had the same problem with my workstation (another model). It was very scary for me the first time to perform clean Win 10 installation. I made the full copy of my boot drive just to be on safe side. But everything happens just fine and I have made several clean re-installation since.

HP Recommended

Thank you DGroves and OlegR, you've encouraged me that a clean instal would work work well and is probably the best solution. Most of the important files on the machine are automatically mirrored across to a NAS drive, in the end I tried a quick-fix. I updated the BIOS for the machine (was running a version from 2013) to one that I found on the site that was for Windows 8 but dates 2018. I'm not sure why, or if, this upgrade helped - but after that BIOS upgrade I forced an upgrade to the latest (October 2018) version of Windows 10 1803 and it worked!

When I have more time after the holliday season I will likely do a clean instal of the latest version as you recccomend, because the numerous failed Win 10 updates previously, and perhaps the original upgrade (from Windows 7 in the case of my old Z600) do tend to leave unused files littered around perhaps.

Thanks again both.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.