Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Having problems installing W7 pro from dvd.  Asks for missing cd/dvd driver.  Guessing it may be SATA controller issue.  How can I tell which controller I have?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

It should be one of the ones that I zipped up and attached below.

Unzip the files to their folders and copy the folders to a USB flash drive.

Have the flash drive in a USB port.

There should be an option to load the driver when you get to the required CD/DVD driver is missing message.

Browse to the first folder and select the driver file.  If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

If none is found, go to the other folder instead.

HP Recommended

I also have seen some HP workstations that had a stock HP SATA optical disc reader that did not have a proper driver included on the optical disc..... and swapping in another "known-good" HP optical disc reader allowed me to boot using the same disc.  Remember that your OS for the install only can include drivers that are on the install media you are booting from.

This trick has worked more than once. 

HP Recommended

It continued with install after doing drivers but would not let install Win still.  In bios I changed storage from what I think was achi+raid  to ide.  I then deleted old raid partitions and now seems to be loading.  I have two 500gb ssd drives and would like to do a raid config eventually in case one crashed I would have backup.  Any advice?

HP Recommended

RAID + AHCI is the default storage controller setting, and I would advise against changing that setting since it provides the best drive performance.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advise for you other than if you have the setting on IDE and have W7 installed, read the info at the link below for how to change the setting from IDE back to RAID + AHCI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=BUPIm2azWpU&feature=emb_logo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.